Seal and Gasket kit ?

1983ruston

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I did a lot of inspection and repairs to my 3.5 hp 1983 mercury s/n#6318559 but, although I got her all running, The prop wash in the 5 gal bucket still looks milky and I notice small oil residue film on the water. I want to order a seal and gasket kit but would like to know first what the kit consists of as well as will it show which part diagram #s go or some kind of instructional spreadsheet where and how to replace these parts? I also want to be sure to get all the parts I may need to replace before ordering the kit should the kit not contain all seals needed to fix this minute leak. tia, John

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Seal and Gasket kit ?

Is there water in the lower unit oil??
Drain it and check for water.
Running in a bucket,your pushing a gas/oil mixture, exhaust and unburned fuel/oil into the water.
ANY 2stroke outboard should do this.
Pressure test the lower???
Location?Profile? You might be close to someone who can help??

carholme

Rear Admiral

John;

Just to help you and those who are trying to help you, it is much better if you keep the questions related to that s/n in one thread as it creates a history of the problems you are having and lets others know what has been done. Opening a new thread with every question denies the responder a chance to view everything else that has been tried or suggested.

Gerry

1983ruston

Seaman Apprentice

Jerry, no leak is visible on the outside of lower unit also, did drain and inspected the new lower oil just to rule any internal leak. I will post here Gerry after I complete this seal/gasket kit project.. I am sorry and agree, I wish this reply could automatically fill all the threads related.. Next time, I will keep it as you say, on the original thread starting with the make model and S/N and so that others present and future may follow the thread understandably. I did check the float by removing the carberator cover.. I see nothing wrong and yet I sprayed it with jetblast just in case it might have gummed up beyond what is visible. Waiting for my kit and I will let all know how it goes. ty again! John

1983ruston

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, Gerry and whoever else, I got the seal gasket kit and counted out 12 pieces.. i used the parts diagram on the lu to try and match each part and will likely find where each matching part belongs once I get into the lu.. looks like four parts go into lower unit (vent gasket/filler/O ring / oil seal and than the rest of parts seem to be on the upper lower unit assembly on the water pump seals and gasket. I'm going to do this when I find time next week. I will let you know how it goes and post here. hope all goes well and I get her working like new with no leaks.

1983ruston

Seaman Apprentice

I finished using the seal and gasket kit.. man what a jigsaw puzzle for diy ..! Most seals and hardest part assembly was on the water pump.. but everything worked and the lower O ring was easiest.. didn't bother trying to ratchet off the gear housing seal. Not sure how as there is no way to grip the drive. I doubt it is leaking anyway and confirmed a much cleaner bucket after assembly and test wash. I also figured to flush/wash the inside with "simply green" detergent and I see very little if any film residue. Still my, yamaha 2 hp is so much cleaner exhaust at 100:1 I may not enjoy using this old 3.5 mercury 50:1 and put it on Craigs list for 350.00