Seadoo jet boat. Is it legally a boat or PWC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt167

Captain
There is a 1995 Seadoo Jet boat that I could go get fairly cheap, yet has rebuilt engines. Think it could be just a cool light boat to blast down a lake or river on any weekend I might want to go and not worry about winterization beyond the basic stuff.

Are these considered PWC's or are they titled as boats? It's powered by twin 657x

jbcurt00

Staff member
Probably depends on your state, and the DMV can likely tell you based on HIN.

However, 2 random states agree:
Many people ask what the difference is between a Personal Watercraft and a Jet Ski which I think is a great question. The answer is simple. The term “Personal Watercraft” refers to a category of vessel. A Personal Watercraft or PWC, is a watercraft that the rider sits or stands on, rather than inside of, like a boat.Jan 16, 2020

matt167

Captain
I looked and NYS is kinda iffy. I mean, it does not really matter. It's a boating safety course I'll eventually need anyway and it limits usage to daylight hours, although the little jet boats do not have navigation lights anyway.

USCG defines them as boats less than 13' long when powered by a Jet.. The 1995 Speedster is listed at 15' so it should be good

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We had a 1999. It did indeed have running lights. I think they all do. It's a boat.

As you already said - Brianna's law. Yes, you need a "license" and a safety course, unless you buy a canoe with paddles.

Our new OB is a dream come true to winterize. Our old I/O was not really "trouble", but winterizing was no fun.

A 2-stroke S-D jet boat is a PITA. I can't imagine having to do it twice.

As an aside, those little guys are awful in heavy chop and because they are capable of relatively high speed they can be quite dangerous to the novice.

matt167

Captain
I have until 2022 to get the safe boating cert but yeah, I had planned on getting it anyway.

Owner of said boat became kinda iffy and so I just passed on the deal.. I found a 15' SC Jetstar that I'll hopefully tow home tomorrow for much cheaper. Has a 40hp Johnson. More my speed and heritage being it's a similar model to the 15' boat my dad had when I was little. His was one of the fiberglass SC's of the same vintage.

Seadoo jet boats are legally classified as boats, not personal watercraft (PWC). Unlike PWC, which are typically ridden standing or sitting on the craft, Seadoo jet boats have a cockpit like traditional boats. Therefore, they follow standard boating regulations, including registration and safety compliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.