SeaDek is a no go. Input on second choice

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Monterey 250cr and every year I add some type of upgrade to keep it fresh and modern. This year my first choice was to add SeaDek to my swim platform and my cockpit. I chose SeaDek because I like the softness between my feet, the ease of installation, and maybe a little sound insulation. There is a lot of great videos on installation and care. It is strongly marketed as a do it yourself project and that is what I am wanting to do. My boat is indoor heated storage for winter.
I emailed SeaDek and informed them of my project and requested specific information so I can get the ball rolling. They responded by telling me to call my local Monterey dealer. My local Monterey dealer is 73 miles away and I have no relationship with them as they are not local. I informed SeaDek that it's not an option for Monterey and still requesting the original information. There response was to have the Monterey dealer call me and I was told I need to bring the boat to them so they can look at the boat to give a quote. When I explained my boat is in heated storage with boats on stands in front of mine, the answer was, well maybe you can have them move or see us in the spring. Just no working for me. I am going to email SeaDek one more time and spell it out for the third time but I am not getting my hopes up.
I am thinking Flexy Teak as my 2nd option. How is it as a DYI project? Hot in the sunlight? Durability? Stains? Ware and tear from dogs? What size was your project? Cost of your project? Would you do it again? What would you change?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
maybe you should explain what information you were looking for....
At this point I can't see what the problem is.... W seadek you simply buy a template kit, fit it to your boat, mail it in and order your material pre cut to your template.

http://www.seadek.com/p-18-template-kit.aspx

Last edited:

superbenk

Commander
Are you asking for Monterey logos or something that need to be authorized somehow? I didn't think there was anything other than what smokeonthewater said above. Considering SeaDek for our boat too.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Smoke on the water is correct. It does not even have to be a Monterey dealer for obtaining a quote.
Here is what a friend with a 270CR did last fall.

1. Template with markers and instructions sent straight from SeaDek.

2. Taped and outlined swimplatform pattern - sent it in for test template option.

3. Received test template - verified and approved for final cut.

4. Received final cut/product and installed per instructions.

Back and forth with templates was a little bit of a pain but turn out pretty good!

post-16228-0-62418300-1367547095.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i've heard but never experienced that the fake teak gets pretty hot. I was looking at it for a time but in the end chose not to.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
FlexiTeak will burn your feet in hot weather. Stick with SeaDek. It's what you need for a 250CR.
Yet another satisfied Monterey boat owner that ordered SeaDek.

"For 10-15 bucks you order a template kit and they send you a sheet of mylar that you trace your pattern on and send it back to them. They cut it exactly to the pattern. The cost of the template is credited to your order should you decide to buy the pad. I would highly recommend letting them do the cutting since they have the right equipment and put a nice beveled edge on it. The don't charge to cut nor do they charge to put the logo on."

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer
maybe you should explain what information you were looking for....
At this point I can't see what the problem is.... W seadek you simply buy a template kit, fit it to your boat, mail it in and order your material pre cut to your template.

http://www.seadek.com/p-18-template-kit.aspx

Yep that's exactly what I did. It was easy and turned out really good.

Here's a crappy picture:

IMAG0484.jpg

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry for the thread high-jack but how easy is it to keep that stuff clean? On my cruiser that never comes out of the water I put a lot of work into keeping the swim platform clean. I'd love some non-skid material though! I lost the girlfriend off the back last year when we were trying to dock, fortunately I wasn't in gear!

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Order the template kit from Seadek. Your Monterey dealer should have no bearing on this. Make your template and mail it back to them. They will give you a quote based on that. They will credit you the cost of the template on the cost of the final order I believe.

lg260ss

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

Sorry for the thread high-jack but how easy is it to keep that stuff clean? On my cruiser that never comes out of the water I put a lot of work into keeping the swim platform clean. I'd love some non-skid material though! I lost the girlfriend off the back last year when we were trying to dock, fortunately I wasn't in gear!

Very easy to keep clean. I have the Faux Teak seadek on my (cruiser) swim platform and love it. I installed back in the spring and I didn't have to do much to it all season, unlike the previous gelcoat that I was cleaning all of the time. It is also very slip resistant, comfortable to sit on, and it doesn't get hot (warm yes but never hot)

This picture was taken near the end of the season.

Attachments

• photo212928.JPG
    photo212928.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 1

mattb100

Cadet
The off white, beige, cream can get dirty, it is textured and can be a little stubborn to get back to brand new clean. You might try a darker top color if you can. I don't understand the dealer thing, I just called and ordered the template kit, cut to fit, sent it back and got my mat. It is a very nice product and a great improvement over old or no mats.