sea nymph sc170 fuel tank question...

0rion

Seaman Apprentice
My brother gave me the boat. It's a 95 sea nymph sc170. One of the issues it has is the fuel tank. He had a problem with the gauge at one time and switched to a portable tank because he never knew how much gas the boat had in it. Well, a good tap on the gauge fixed that problem but created a bigger problem.
He had ~1/2 tank ( 8 gallons) in there that's sit for a few years. I would like to get that tank functional again but not sure how to get the gas out. I tried to syphon but didn't have any luck. Any ideas? Anyone ever removed the tank on one and how big of a job is it? The portable tank isn't a huge deal but if the boat has a 16 gallon tank I'd like to use it. Even if I was able to syphon the tank out I'd worry about all the crap that's in there now from sitting for years. Any ideas on what to do?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: sea nymph sc170 fuel tank question...

get a hose small enough to go thru the transom drain. open the fuel sender unit, now you can siphon it gas out. raising the bow will help get the sediment to the back of the tank, then you can use a rag to mop it out. install a fuel/water separating filter before the motor.

0rion

Seaman Apprentice
Re: sea nymph sc170 fuel tank question...

thanks for the reply. I think probably what I'll have to do is take the casting deck off the back of it. I can barely get my arm back there to the transom under the deck. He had a boat shop look at it and the guy put an inline filter on it but for some reason wasn't able to get the gas out of the tank. Now, that might be because my brother told him not to worry about it at some point or something like that and not necessarily because he couldn't do it. I'm gonna talk to my brother about it again and see exactly what the deal was. Either way I don't think it should be that hard.....the problem I really have is figuring out how to get to the tank. The top of the casting deck is attached with screws but the sides are all rivets. Hopefully I can just take the top of the deck off and everything will be right there.......but it never works out that easy. :D