Sea nymph GLS 195 resto- making shopping list

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am currently in the process of getting a list made and ordering the necessary items to redo the flooring in my sea nymph. The hull does leak- found leaky rivets last year and the floor is rotted bad in the back. Im unsure of the status of transom. I believe its ok but will check when i get the boat back. I just moved last week and have to go downstate this coming week to pick up the boat. Anyways, i have some questions and would like some feedback to make sure im going the right direction. I ordered gluv it yesterday, first thing ordered so far, I plan on purchasing things in the order in which i will use them. Will I need to prep the inside hull before laying the gluv it besides a throughout washing with hose/powerwash? IE acetone and/or vinegar? Next will be foam, I believe there is spray in foam in it currently since its never been replaced (yay me). So sheets of pink foam will be purchased, dont know how many yet, havent ran the calculations, but im guessing 3-4 sheets, maybe more. Next would be epoxy for the plywood, after doing some searching and reading ive decided on west systems epoxy. Would this work? Boat will be outside majority of its life, and being in michigan it will be subjected to very cold temperatures. After epoxy will be plywood, I wanted to go with araucoply but the local lowes or home depot doesnt carry it. Searching acx lowes carries this https://www.lowes.com/pd/23-32-CAT-P...-x-8/999922252 would this work? Next question would be whats the best way to attach the plywood to the boat? Screws, rivets, other? Also, should I lay plywood, then carpet, or carpet the plywood then lay it in the boat? Next would be carpet and glue. I havent decided on carpet yet I need suggestions on carpet glue. Along with this would be a 70lb roller from home depot/lowes. Other misc items- tubes of 3m 5200, screws, rivets, hinges for making some storage in the back. Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do it right and it looks good. My plan is to get most, if not all of the materials purchased before teardown so I have as little down time as possible. I use this boat quite a bit fishing in the summer. Hope to start beginning of may or june. Pictures to give an idea what im working with.

Attachments

• photo227641.jpg
    photo227641.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo227642.jpg
    photo227642.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
That ply should be fine. Arauco is gorgeous but unfortunately it is made of a more rot-susceptible pine. The douglas fir is probably better. I'm sure the West epoxy is fine. I used Clark Craft and was very pleased with it. I installed my full deck into the boat using deck screws. I dabbed some epoxy on top of the screws once installed and put fiberglass cloth and epoxy over the seams. Have you considered marine vinyl instead of carpet? I LOVE mine. Much easier to maintain and holds up better than carpet. I used carpet in my bow and side panels but the main deck is vinyl (Nautolex). For the carpet I just used the inexpensive outdoor carpet adhesive from Lowes/Home Depot. It works VERY well.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have considered vinyl, I used vinyl when I redid the 16ft starcraft flooring. But I want to go with carpet for this one, 1- to keep the boat a little quieter, and two, just because i think it looks better and its nicer on the feet. I know its a little more maintenance keeping it clean but im ok with that. Plus I want to learn how to do carpet.

Did you add those corner pieces that join the floor with the side, or are those stock?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
If you go carpet, get a color that is kinda dirt-ish like a light gray or beige. I had navy in my Jupiter and it was such a pain. It showed every speck of dirt. I could have it all spotless and the first I stepped in the boat from the ground it would look trashed. Those "baseboards", if you will, are stock however mine were missing to I just replaced them with aluminum angle from Lowes. The stock ones are much taller.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Totally just realized the forum never put my spaces in my paragraphs. Looks like one big write up lol sorry guys

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you go carpet, get a color that is kinda dirt-ish like a light gray or beige. I had navy in my Jupiter and it was such a pain. It showed every speck of dirt. I could have it all spotless and the first I stepped in the boat from the ground it would look trashed. Those "baseboards", if you will, are stock however mine were missing to I just replaced them with aluminum angle from Lowes. The stock ones are much taller.

Yeah I was planning on going with a gray color. I really like those "baseboards" gives me an idea what to do with mine.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Totally just realized the forum never put my spaces in my paragraphs. Looks like one big write up lol sorry guys

Nope, when I deleted the competitors of Iboats, the forum software flinched and deleted you paragraph spacing ... See the Last EDITTED by at the bottom of your post?

Happens sometimes when we edit posts

IT guys arent sure why since it doesnt do it on every edit......

Dont work around or try to defeat the auto censoring of Iboats competitors, the Mod Team will find and redact them.

Iboats is an online retailer. As such, it should be expected for them to protect their biusiness interests.

Agreeing not to post competitors was part of the agreement you made when you joined. As noted in the rules
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/forum-rules-and-guidelines/407734-forum-rules

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't purchase anything ahead of time, all too often plans or amounts change for unforeseen reasons and you're left with unneeded, but paid for items.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wouldn't purchase anything ahead of time, all too often plans or amounts change for unforeseen reasons and you're left with unneeded, but paid for items.

I get that but I have the money now to do it and won't later. (Birthday money and fur money from trapping) Only thing I have purchased so far is the gluv it. The only thing I could forsee buying too much of would be styrofoam and plywood, both of which could be returned. So far the only thing I plan on buying online is the gluv it, epoxy, and carpet. Everything else I should be able to buy locally, making for easy returns.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Are you dead set on using carpet in your SN? Vinyl deck covering is so much nicer to clean and lasts way longer. I shop ahead for any things but I don't buy them all right away like for seats, saving them in a wish list.

juliolop

Seaman
Are you dead set on using carpet in your SN? Vinyl deck covering is so much nicer to clean and lasts way longer. I shop ahead for any things but I don't buy them all right away like for seats, saving them in a wish list.

sorry asking you but it was impossible to avoid it due to no much info around,
I'm close to replace my carpet and I'm not sure about to re-carpet my floor, I saw you mention vinyl and something like that is what I want, something durable and washable, by any chance do you know other materials? different kinds of vinyl?
best regards

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I prefer the Nautolex vinyl deck covering. I used it on my last 2 rebuilds. Here's how it looks in my current project. The side panels are marine vinyl type like seat covering.

IMAG2829.jpg

IMAG2832.jpg

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Since your going to tear the boat down, I would recommend that you replace all the wiring to include a new fuse panel if yours has glass fuses or has limited capacity. I would also replace the bildge pump, live well pumps and associated plumbing. If it has a built in fuel tank, a new sending unit and fuel lines are in order. A fuel/water filter separator would be a nice addition. Consider replacing the bow and stern lights with LED units. I purchased my Marine Carpeting at Lowes, a 20ft X 6ft piece ran me a bit over $155.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since your going to tear the boat down, I would recommend that you replace all the wiring to include a new fuse panel if yours has glass fuses or has limited capacity. I would also replace the bildge pump, live well pumps and associated plumbing. If it has a built in fuel tank, a new sending unit and fuel lines are in order. A fuel/water filter separator would be a nice addition. Consider replacing the bow and stern lights with LED units. I purchased my Marine Carpeting at Lowes, a 20ft X 6ft piece ran me a bit over $155.

Redoing wiring is the plan, just didn't put it in the post. Bilge is new as of two years ago. Don't use the livewell pump because the livewell sits so low water comes in on its own. Plus I don't use the livewell in the spring or fall (salmon boat). New sending unit was put in last year, will check fuel hoses, I know the one from the splash well to the motor is brand new.

Yes I am dead set on carpeting. I think I can get it cheaper at other places than Lowe's, but will consider them.

I just got the boat out of storage and back to my house yesterday. My first question is what's the easiest way to check transom condition? I want to tackle that first if it needs replaced.

The gluv it came in while I was downstate picking the boat up. Next will be foam and wood. Gotta take some measurements tomorrow.

someone11

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, after doing some price checking between carpet and nautolex, I am now considering vinyl lol Havent made up my mind yet though. Started the motor today in hopes of getting out fishing once or twice this week, fired right up. I took some measurement of the flooring and did the hammer check to the transom. All sounded well and I dont see any concerning cracks in the aluminum, but when I pull the splashwell off ill take a closer look at everything. Anyways, heres the couple pictures I snapped. It looks like someone has painted the aluminum for the transom at some point...

Knee brace looks good, at least from this angle.

Tentative tear down date is May 1st