Sea king 6hp

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,

I just picked up a Sea King 6hp at a yard sale. VWB29906A Serial no. starts with 96 so it should be 1969. It looks to have very low hours on it, unfortunatley someone painted it gray.
I cannot get it running and determined through shocking myself that it only has spark on one cylinder. Swapped plugs and that wasn't it. So I pulled the flywheel. I have never worked on anything with points before so this is all new to me. The only thing I noticed is that between the coil and crankshaft cam lobe there is a small piece of insulation looking stuff. It is only like this on one coil and not the other. What is the purpose of this and could it be the issue?

Are there any sites that someone could recommend to get some info on working on a points type motor, with some pics maybe?

Also, is this motor going to require a 24:1 mix?

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Sea king 6hp

Well it's the top plug not getting spark. I pulled the flywheel and swapped the condensers and had the same result, top plug with no spark. I was going to swap the coils next but how do you remove them from the plate?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You probably don't remove the coils without destroying them. Are they cracked or damaged? If no, leave them alone. Do the most reaonable things first, namely clean the points. Take them apart and polish each contact separately with a piece of 400 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper backed up with a piece of thin metal such as a hacksaw blade. When they are shiny bright and smooth reassemble and adjust the gap to .020" when they are at their widest opening.

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well the top plug was getting spark before, now I have swapped the coils and condensers, and it is still only the top plug getting spark. I guess that leaves only the points to be at fault. Anyone have any ideas?

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got it running!!!

I cleaned and gapped the points and had spark on both plugs. She fired up after a few pulls, but was hard to keep running without playing with choke. Unfortunatly, after a few more pulls the recoil spring broke. Hopefully I can fix that. I am gonna do some searching on where to find a recoil.

So, 24:1 or 50:1 ?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

24:1 I do believe might just double check just to be sure.

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The recoil spring appears to have broken, or just came off, at the very top, could it possibly be reattached? I have the recoil off the motor, any tips on how to take it apart?

Thanks everyone for your help.

fishon1213

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yesterday I got a new recoil spring from the boat shop for free! Put the recoil back together, what a pain!, and got her running again. Not very good at first though. I went back and cleaned and regapped the points and it was a little better but still seemed like it was running rich and struggling to fire all the fuel. The plugs that were in were J8C's and I swapped them for some NGK's out of another motor and it helped significantly. So just a few more things to take care of and this motor should be ready for the water!

What plugs should really be in this motor? The NGK's really helped and weren't any newer so maybe they are a hotter plug.

What is the adjustment for to the left of the pull start? Lean/Rich? Idle?
There is also another adjustment on the left side of the carb.
Also thinking about a water pump impeller and maybe a carb rebuild for preventative maintenance.