Sea King 12'

Herm71

Cadet
Hi all, I am new to your forum. I have been reading alot here looks like a great place!
I just bought a 1952 Sea King 12' V-bottom boat. The info tag is missing and the guy I bought it from doesn't know the specs. I do have the reg card with ser# but thats all I have. Does anyone know the weight this boat can carry? Motor HP? I have a 45 LB thrust trolling motor will this work OK for this boat?
The boat is in nice shape, I had to replace the wood on the back where the motor goes but other than that is looks pretty good. It has been in a barn for the last 15 years.
Thanks for your help.
Herm

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Sea King 12'

Welcome to iboats.

With a good transom your boat should be good for a 10 hp and we are talking about 75-80 lbs on the transom. A 45 lb trolling motor will do fine and you could even go bigger but, you would have to carry more batteries.

Now just for information..... what kind of wood did you use for the transom????? I SINCERELY hope it was NOT pressure treated!! PT wood will EAT away your boat!

Herm71

Cadet

Welcome to iboats.

With a good transom your boat should be good for a 10 hp and we are talking about 75-80 lbs on the transom. A 45 lb trolling motor will do fine and you could even go bigger but, you would have to carry more batteries.

Now just for information..... what kind of wood did you use for the transom????? I SINCERELY hope it was NOT pressure treated!! PT wood will EAT away your boat!

I cut three pieces of 1/2 ' ply wood. I sealed and painted each piece of wood then glued them togeather and bolted it back the way it was. Will this be OK?
Thanks Herm

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If it was NOT pressure treated Ply wood... Yes! What Kind of glue did you use? Did you glue before you painted? What kind of Paint?

Herm71

Cadet

It wasn't pres treated wood, not sure of the brand of glue it is water proof though. The paint is oil based outdoor paint.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

For that boat.....you're good. Have fun on the water...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

It wasn't pres treated wood, not sure of the brand of glue it is water proof though. The paint is oil based outdoor paint.

As stated above you will be fine ;) The bolts in the transom will hold the wood together regardless of what glue you use. Only time will tell if your oil paint worked to seal it up.

Don't worry...... go fishing :D