Sea Eagle SR14 RIK + 30hp Mercury Two Stroke

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm curious if you tried it out yet. Riding solo with me sitting back that far in my boat, hitting the throttle, it wants to stand on end. I just redid my set up again and I am just a few inches behind the front seat. But, I have to have my fuel tank towards the rear. Lot of steering consoles I see mounted are pretty close to the middle.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Yep your right and I'll find out once I get it into the water. Right now I have to go by what I see on you tube and that's a guy with the same boat,teller motor,tank at the very back and nothing up front. It looks like he has no problems at all getting on plane.https://youtu.be/tJVRdcwGxu4

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

As some already know I haven't been able to get the boat in the water because I've been having idle issues with my motor. I cleaned the carb once real good,replaced the idle mixture screw and spring and all the caskets but that didn't solve the problem so I went back and adjusted the float,replaced the inlet needle and cleaned the seat real good. By the way the problem was that it would not run less than 2500 rpm's.My factory service manual is suggesting I need to replace the reeds but I'm going to try other things first before I do that...stay tuned.

Attachments

• photo213675.jpg
    photo213675.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo222284.jpg
    photo222284.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Alan,

Yesterday had a tech meeting with 2 different skilled brand mechanics, discussed tricky issues. Will meet again friday afternoon for some beers and more discussion.

To troubleshoot why your engine drops dead at 2500 rpm need to know :

-Does engine starts fine from cold at start position ?
-Once sufficiently warmed up while still in neutral, does the engine dies if moving grip to idle resting position ?
-Can you shift forward gear and throttle more if doesn't die ?
-Does the tech bummer only presents itself at neutral and not while in gear?
-What about middle to wot rpm, engine runs spotless ?

The general consensus was that faulty reed valves, gives bad idle rpm at ralenti time, engine sneezes. At speed backfires, fire firing through carb.

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Sea Rider for going to the trouble of talking to other people for help, it's much appreciated. It starts right up from cold but will only idle for a few seconds until I give it more throttle and run it up to 2500 RPM. It still dies when warm and I have a remote but yes it dies when ever I try to lower the RPM's.I can't attempt to put it in gear because of the high RPM's. I have actually started in forward gear with the same results.It has only gone up to 3200 RPM's by accident and it sounded good. I now try very hard not to let it rev that high not wanting to put that much stress and strain on it. I'm now suspecting that it could be dieing from flooding. My spark plugs are always wet and it dies similar to pulling out the choke. I did find that the inlet needle was worn down some and the float was out of adjustment which could be the cause of flooding so I'm hoping that that was my problem.It will be a couple of days before I can start it and see if it was. If not I have a couple more tests to do relating to the carb and my spark to check out...thanks again.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you suspect carb flooding, is needle valve in good working condition, that's not scratched, deformed. not round ? Does needle seats in nicely against needle seat ? Did you tried blowing mouth air through carb fuel intake while inverted to check if needle seals well against seat ? Is so, it's not a carb related issue.

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
The inlet needle was worn down some but the idle mixture screw is brand new.I did not blow through the fuel inlet.

G

Sounds like you may have a similar issue as me. It is funny how our outboards are almost the same design and experiencing the same issue. Check your spark

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you may have a similar issue as me. It is funny how our outboards are almost the same design and experiencing the same issue. Check your spark

Here is an iboats post where the person found he needed new reeds. In my service manual there where two issues related to bad reeds.One was his problem and the other was mine. The reeds will be the last thing I try but right now I believe it's carb or Sync issues. Here's the link to the article. http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...71238-mercury-650-3-cyl-link-n-sync-questions

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just asking but wouldn't it be obvious if a reed Valve was bad. Broken section or bent. I worked on a bunch of two stroke motorcycles and ATVs and have never had to replace one.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
That's what I hear a lot of except in my service manual,You Tube and the post I gave a link to you will find it is not uncommon. Read his post, he did a lot of things before he changed the reeds and nobody said anything about the reeds in their replies. I have cleaned,adjusted and put in new parts in my carb with the same results...will not idle. As I've said my service manual lists my problem,"Unable to reduce engine RPM to slow idle"...bad reeds. My motor runs just fine as long as the RPM's are kept at 2000 or above. I had said 2500 but I found out I had the wrong pole setting on my tach.I did get it to idle at 1200 for a little bit but it sounded like crap,had no power and it was trying it's best to die the whole time . All this being said I do have a few more things to check out one being spark.

Last edited:
G

Any luck on fixing the issue? i narrowed mine down. I get fuel to the bowl but for some reason cannot get it to the engine. i took a spray bottle, filled it with gas and shot it into the carb and it started first pull for a couple seconds

Chopperbill

Petty Officer 1st Class
When you clean the carb us one of those wire assortments that they use to clean welding tips and run it through all the small holes. Tool is cheap from Horbor Frieght. Also I use a can of compressed air and shoot down all those orfices.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Weimed,

Have you checked fuel pump & all filters condition ? If with fuel on bowl, probably needle is sticking inside needle valve. Is needle still pointy rounded ? Check float works smoothly. If you keep shooting fuel through carb does the engine keeps running ?

Having a spark is no indication that Ignition Coil is in good working shape. Must check spark condition with a special tester, the ones you can vary electrode distance to measure spark jump strenght. Or buy a new IC and save the cost of the special tester. Anyway, will be needing it someday as IC don't lasts forever..

Happy Boating

Last edited:
G

Weimed,

Have you checked fuel pump & all filters condition ? If with fuel on bowl, probably needle is sticking inside needle valve. Is needle still pointy rounded ? Check float works smoothly. If you keep shooting fuel through carb does the engine keeps running ?

Having a spark is no indication that Ignition Coil is in good working shape. Must check spark condition with a special tester, the ones you can vary electrode distance to measure spark jump strenght. Or buy a new IC and save the cost of the special tester. Anyway, will be needing it someday as IC don't lasts forever..

Happy Boating
i replaced the IC, Needle is still pointy. i heard ethanol gas can warp the float causing it to close but it looks normal to me. looked at the fuel pump and it looks like it leaks gas. My hole thing is, if the fuel is in the bowl the block should be able to run until it at least burns it all. i cant keep up with spraying gas in the carb as it shuts down before i can pick up the bottle and spray again. carb looked very clean when opened but i still cleaned both jets and all the passages

i fixed it! was a screw on the side of the carb that adjusts how much gas gets shot into the intake. Needed to adjust that and then the idle screw. I can get the outboard to run but now i am getting misses. What can be causing the misses? the fuel pump leaks fuel a little when priming. can that be it? i need to figure out how to hook up all those wires i disconnected?? any diagram around?

Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
When you clean the carb us one of those wire assortments that they use to clean welding tips and run it through all the small holes. Tool is cheap from Horbor Frieght. Also I use a can of compressed air and shoot down all those orfices.

I pretty much did all that.I used a few strands of copper wire and carb cleaner then used a flashlight to look through all the holes.Everything looked clean and the cleaner shot through with no problem. I am going to do one simple thing which is cean/replace the fuel filter. I did take it off and looked at it and it looked clean to me but maybe it was dirty and I couldn't tell...we'll see.

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
Weimed,

Happy Boating

Going to check the fuel pump and did check the fuel filter and it looked clean but I think I'll replace it anyways. I replaced the inlet needle...old one was worn...also adjusted float as it was a little off. I did purchased an adjustable spark tester but haven't used it yet.

I just wanted to post the reed post for all of you to read. He thought his problem was the link and sync but it turned out the reeds. I'm not saying it's the reeds but I'm not ruling it out ether. If I do replace them it will be the last thing I do. Thanks for all of your help.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Alan,

If you have already that tester use it. Need to troubleshoot firstly easy parts and then go working along difficult ones untill the culprit is found. The spark should jump a min and a max gap distance. Check that works inside Merc specs.

Happy Boating

G

I fixed my OB. Honestly could not tell what did it. I think it was the main jet because it was stuck when i tried to pull it out. cleaned both jets and it seems to be working good now. Alan, i recommend trying you mixure screw. open it all the way then start tightening until you get the correct idle speed/rpm

Last edited: