SE106 lower unit Alpha 1 Series 1 - can't shift into reverse after impeller fix

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had another thread on an impeller situation recently. Got the right parts and put it together right. I was so proud of myself. I got it back on under the upper unit. I had left the shifter in forward when removed and when I got it all bolted on I went in the boat and it won't go past Neutral into reverse.
I removed it again, had a friend shift it some and the straight copper tube with splines on both ends at the forward part of the upper unit has a cotter pin in the middle and a really thin flat washer just hanging above the cotter pin.
It seems to want to hang down a tad ( maybe 1/4 inch and it will move in forward and Neutral and reverse. I put the shifter back in forward and carefully lined the splines up and tightened up the lower unit bolts again. The closer I got to having it totally bolted up the harder the shifting became. Eventually, I could not shift into reverse again.
Am I supposed to have this in forward during this part of reassembly? What am I doing wrong?

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No Title

http://sterndrive.cc/vbforum/showthr...-unit-question I found this link, I thought I had followed this procedure.
Getting to think that I missed something where that single bolt is forward toward the boat ( kind of hidden )
and the drive shaft housing shift shaft is shown in the lower right hand image in my image of a manual page shown above.
I'm thinking I can have my shifter in the boat in forward position but I can turn that piece that sits outside the housing
I really would like some help here. Thank you.

Last edited:

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
http://sterndrive.cc/vbforum/showthread.php?769-SE106-lower-unit-question I found this link, I thought I had followed this procedure.
Getting to think that I missed something where that single bolt is forward toward the boat ( kind of hidden )
and the drive shaft housing shift shaft is shown in the lower right hand image in my image of a manual page shown above.
I'm thinking I can have my shifter in the boat in forward position but I can turn that piece that sits outside the housing
I really would like some help here. Thank you.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Think you need to drop the lower.and turn the lower shift shaft clockwise and lock the prop by turning it ccw.Leave the remote im fwd and reinstall.

thumpar

Admiral
Think you need to drop the lower.and turn the lower shift shaft clockwise and lock the prop by turning it ccw.Leave the remote im fwd and reinstall.
Yep. The first time I did it I had the shift shaft in the wrong position when I reinstalled the halves. You can use the bungee cord to make sure it stays locked.

The lower half has to be held in forward the whole time you are mating the halves. Turning the splined shift shaft on the lower CW and turn the prop CCW until it locks. Hold the prop there by hand or with a bungee. If when mating the halves the splines don't line up, just very slowly turn the prop some CCW to align the halves.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
that upper shoe must align perfectly with the splined shaft. It should never be forced together. when assembling, catch the front stud with a few threads to hold the lower in place. align the upper shoe onto the lower splined shaft, start the 2 side nuts drawing the unit up making sure there is a slight up and down movement of the upper shoe. Make sure the shoe fits perfectly in the upper shift bracket. install and tighten remaining nuts.

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks again everyone. When I get this right, I will post how it worked out for future readers. I'll be back on the job again today with it later. Will follow up.

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got it right this time. Put the muffler hose on it for a brief test and works in forward neutral and reverse. I'll get it out on the river and give a temp report on this and my other forum string very soon. The whole trick was keeping the lower unit in forward and not letting that prop back off when putting the lower unit up and on and onto the linkage.
Assembly done correctly. THANKS!

bigmikek

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Works great. Had it out on the river today and it runs at around 120-130 in higher speed and idling in gear at 165 - 170 tops.