Scout 153 leaking aerator problem

terrygar

Cadet
Hello the aerator intake and flush hoses or something is leaking at the transom.
I want to remove the hoses and cap the fittings( so the system is available to the next owner. How can I plug the fittings?
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20210522_183357.jpg
    20210522_183357.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I see two UV compromised (yellowed) thru hull fittings.

Need to be replaced before they give way completely and start taking on water.

No easy way to cap to thru hull fitting. Only available in hose barb and NPS threads to screw into a seacock.

Easier to repair (replace) and leave operational

terrygar

Cadet
I see two UV compromised (yellowed) thru hull fittings.

Need to be replaced before they give way completely and start taking on water.

No easy way to cap to thru hull fitting. Only available in hose barb and NPS threads to screw into a seacock.

Easier to repair (replace) and leave operational
Looks like a drain plug (rubber type would plug the holes?
No boat stores near me, where could I get the fittings?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Looks like a drain plug (rubber type would plug the holes?
No boat stores near me, where could I get the fittings?
no. you need to replace the thru-hull fittings and not attempt to cap them. the fittings themselves are cracked and need replacing

if you put a rubber drain plug in the cracked plastic, the plastic will fail and you will most likely sink the boat

you need to replace them. Plastic fittings last at most 5 years (plastic should not be used under the water line ever, however recreational boats get away with it because they dont need to fully comply with ABYC) stainless is OK, however brass should be used.

if you dont have a store near you, order from iboats, amazon, any on-line store and have delivered along with a tube of 3M 5200 or at a minimum 3m 4000 UV

terrygar

Cadet
no. you need to replace the thru-hull fittings and not attempt to cap them. the fittings themselves are cracked and need replacing

if you put a rubber drain plug in the cracked plastic, the plastic will fail and you will most likely sink the boat

you need to replace them. Plastic fittings last at most 5 years (plastic should not be used under the water line ever, however recreational boats get away with it because they dont need to fully comply with ABYC) stainless is OK, however brass should be used.

if you dont have a store near you, order from iboats, amazon, any on-line store and have delivered along with a tube of 3M 5200 or at a minimum 3m 4000 UV
Can you describe the size and type for me so I can order? After the new ones ate in can I use a rubber drain plug to seal them.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Can you describe the size and type for me so I can order? After the new ones ate in can I use a rubber drain plug to seal them.
measure what you have. you either have 3/4" or 1-1/8"

and no, fix any other issue.