Scotch Guard on Sunbrella

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Has anybody ever put Scotch type stuff on there Bimini to help make the stains a littel easer to get off? I know they make stuff for patio furniture to help make it easer to clean but I just wondered if anyone has tried it, mean time I'll go to the Sunbrella site and see what they have to say

harringtondav

Commander
Scotch Guard is a good stain repellent, but won't remove stains.
I use 303 Marine Fabric Guard. They claim to be Sunbrella approved. ...I don't know about that, but I swear by the stuff. After application I've filled my mooring cover with a puddle of water. It held like a swimming pool liner. It also repels stains.

...needs a redo every two years though.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I used laundry detergent and a scrub brush to remove stains from my sunbrella material. if its small enough, just toss in the washer.

then use the waterproofing and fabric guard to re-water-proof, etc.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
QUOTE" I used laundry detergent and a scrub brush to remove stains from my sunbrella material. if its small enough, just toss in the washer.

then use the waterproofing and fabric guard to re-water-proof, etc".END QUOTE I would recommend that you do not use this advice.this is exactly what Raven Mills (maker of sunbrella fabric) recommends NOT to do.To answer your question Scotchguard is a better choice for an indoor fabric.Formula 303 is a very good choice and recommended by Raven mills however very very expensive.depending on the amount of canvas you need to protect ,there are some very good choices at a much more reasonable cost.I have a lot of canvas and the most bang for the buck with very good results is a waterproofing spray can that i get at Walmart in the camping dept.Aerosol can with bright orange cap for about $5 a can.does a great job!! Sorry but the name escapes me at the moment.If you need the name let me know and I will grab a can next time I am at the boat in a few days.You will still get the stains however they can be rinsed off with a garden hose used properly.For removing a stain on treated canvas ,first wet the canvas by spraying water on the stain while wiping your hand over the stain while saturating with water.Let it sit for a few mins and while still wet ,hose the stain with some force and if properly treated with waterproofing,most if not all of the stain will remove.Charlie

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The old scotchgard is gone, removed from market because of the forever chemicals it contained.

The new scotchgard is called fabric water shield. red can
They also make a heavy duty version - green can - for outdoor gear like patio furniture.

They make no claim that this does what the old products did.
Just liquid proofing.

harringtondav

Commander
303 Marine Fabric Guard. Really good stuff.
Yes. great stuff. Per above it is pricey. ....$65-$72/gal. I load it into a hand spray bottle and two-coat the fabric. I double coated my old boat's mooring cover and still had about a pint left over. Good for two yrs. ....hope the new owner appreciates it.

When I get my new boat in June the first thing I'll do is double coat the mooring cover and bimini fabric with 303 Marine. My boat lives in the weather on an open lift. The cost of 303 for waterproofing is peanuts to the long term costs of a wet boat interior.

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks All, the sunbrella web site says 303 marine so if I every get it clean i'll use that but I wonder what the difference is between the reg. 303 and the marine? The reg. stuff is about half the cost of the marine.

harringtondav

Commander
Thanks All, the sunbrella web site says 303 marine so if I every get it clean i'll use that but I wonder what the difference is between the reg. 303 and the marine? The reg. stuff is about half the cost of the marine.
My guess is the regular stuff is for patio furniture and less critical fabrics. I'm also guessing that the main waterproofing component in 303 and other waterproofers (wood, stone, etc) is silicone. Marine grade 303 likely has a larger amount of this.

I suppose you could multi-coat with the regular, lower cost 303, but what would you gain?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The label (marine, automotive, patio, etc.) varies depending on which market you find it in. The protectant formula is the same featuring the product benefits and mode of application. So whichever item (label) you get will be a great choice!

harringtondav

Commander
The label (marine, automotive, patio, etc.) varies depending on which market you find it in. The protectant formula is the same featuring the product benefits and mode of application. So whichever item (label) you get will be a great choice!

Good to know, and if correct blows my theory. I'll check 303's MSD's on their various products. MSD documents don't lie. I've saved wasted dollars before by digging this deep. ...maybe the next time I purchase 303.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Good to know, and if correct blows my theory. I'll check 303's MSD's on their various products. MSD documents don't lie. I've saved wasted dollars before by digging this deep. ...maybe the next time I purchase 303.
I have no reason doubt.
This information comes straight from the Q&A section of the manufacturers (gold eagle) website.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
I use Starbrite Waterproofing. Cheaper than 303 and does a great job. Probably not quite as good as 303 but my boat is stored under cover.

pole position

Petty Officer 2nd Class
QUOTE" I used laundry detergent and a scrub brush to remove stains from my sunbrella material. if its small enough, just toss in the washer.

then use the waterproofing and fabric guard to re-water-proof, etc".END QUOTE I would recommend that you do not use this advice.this is exactly what Raven Mills (maker of sunbrella fabric) recommends NOT to do.To answer your question Scotchguard is a better choice for an indoor fabric.Formula 303 is a very good choice and recommended by Raven mills however very very expensive.depending on the amount of canvas you need to protect ,there are some very good choices at a much more reasonable cost.I have a lot of canvas and the most bang for the buck with very good results is a waterproofing spray can that i get at Walmart in the camping dept.Aerosol can with bright orange cap for about $5 a can.does a great job!! Sorry but the name escapes me at the moment.If you need the name let me know and I will grab a can next time I am at the boat in a few days.You will still get the stains however they can be rinsed off with a garden hose used properly.For removing a stain on treated canvas ,first wet the canvas by spraying water on the stain while wiping your hand over the stain while saturating with water.Let it sit for a few mins and while still wet ,hose the stain with some force and if properly treated with waterproofing,most if not all of the stain will remove.Charlie
Camp Dry is what you were thinking of.I use that too,works great.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Camp Dry is what you were thinking of.I use that too,works great.
Great stuff for boots but does not contain a UV inhibitor
I use Starbrite Waterproofing. Cheaper than 303 and does a great job.
Used the stuff on my previous boat with a canvas enclosure.

Worked well on canvas but not sure I would use a kerosene based product on Sunbrella

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Great stuff for boots but does not contain a UV inhibitor

Used the stuff on my previous boat with a canvas enclosure.

Worked well on canvas but not sure I would use a kerosene based product on Sunbrella
I used both. used the Starbrite stuff for many years before the 303 came out for marine products about 7 or 8 years ago

the only thing that killed any of my Sunbrella covers was a 1500 mile trip behind a box truck where the cover was flapping enough against a ficus and some household items when I was moving from Florida to Wi back in 2010. it wore a hole thru the cover