Schematic for hooking up Oil P and Water temp Alarm?

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 225 Monterey (572 Volvo Penta DP) didn't come with alarms for low oil pressure/high water temp and I want to wire one in. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for one that would be applicable?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Schematic for hooking up Oil P and Water temp Alarm?

Purple wire from the ignition switch to the buzzer, the other wire of the buzzer goes to a temp switch and an oil pressure switch you have to install on the engine. Both are hooked together.

Temp switch normally open, closes at 200 to 210?

Oil pressure switch normally closed, opens at 5 to 7 psi.

attachment.php

Just found that Sierra makes a kit for the alarm. Look here..

http://www.iboats.com/WARNING-KIT-O...5604892--session_id.207068246--view_id.926956

Attachments

• Alarm Wiring.jpg
    Alarm Wiring.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

perfect. Thanks Don!

um.. if the Oil Pressure is NC, then the buzzer would sound when everything is normal. Should I flip that with a relay? and would I need a diode between the temp and oil sensor so I don't confuse the gauges?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

um.. if the Oil Pressure is NC, then the buzzer would sound when everything is normal.

No, that is the way they are supposed to work. If you turn the key to the run position without starting the engine, the alarm will sound. Why? Because the engine should be running because the switch is in the run position, but there is no oil pressure. If you want it to stop sounding, start the engine. Then when you have oil pressure the switch is pressurized to the open position and the alarm stops.

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oh, ok. Thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

... and would I need a diode between the temp and oil sensor so I don't confuse the gauges?

No diode required as these switch are nothing to do with the gauges. The only thing they share is the engine block and the battery as a power source. :D

Chris..........