Schadenfreud

JeffM

Seaman Apprentice
This is a German word that apparently translates into "feeling pleasure from other peoples misfortunes". Now generally, this is a bad thing, but man, does it ever apply to this forum! (of course our hearts are with the poor unlucky ones, but darn is it funny)<br /><br />The outcome of my story is very anticlimatic, but the human nature of it is interesting. <br /><br />I love marinas. Something about all the boats, the smell of 50:1 in the air, excited people milling about getting ready for their day cruise. I was hanging out at my local marina about a month ago watching 'Bill" (the names have been changed to protect the innocent) move boats around the dry dock with a huge forklift. You may already see where this is going. An 18' Grew was scheduled for maintenace that day, and Bill had to get it down from the 3rd level of the storage garage (I'd say a good 30 feet up). He drives the forklift up, gently positions the forks under the hull of the boat, and slowly lifts it up and backs out. He then stops and walks around the forklift to make sure the boat is positioned safely on the forks. Now, I have no idea what he was meaning to do now, but I can guess he didn't mean to hit the lever that caused the forks to suddenly drop about 8 inches. The clanging noise from this caused everyone around the marina to look in Bill's direction to see his face lose all color as he watched the brand new 18' Grew bounce and rock back and forth on the forks 30 feet above the ground. For the full 10 seconds that the boat took to settle down on the forks, the whole place silent (this must have seemed like an eternity to him. Until of course his wife came screaming out of the office (she runs the place) yelling "How many times have I told you to be careful with that #!*?! thing!" Bill went back to work like nothing had happened.<br /><br />As I said, the story was anticlimatic, sorry. The interesting thing was that in talking with other bystanders around the marina we all admitted that deep down inside us there was a little voice yelling "fall! fall!". Could you imagine? The horror old Bill would have felt.<br /><br />We are all evil. :)