Scandisk/defrag

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am going to ask a question but I will probably be answearing it at the same time but I want to know if I am on the right track. When I scandisk and defrag, they keep off dropping off, start up again where they left off then it happens again. After a while, I get this pop down tab saying something else is running and If I don;t want this msg again, turn it off(I think it's giving me heck!) Anyway, I am on ADSL and I do it on line with my zonealarm on. I am assuming that the ZA is causing my small problem. Am I correct? I think I would need to go off line and stop the ZA until I finish defragging and scandisk. Is this a good assumption on my part? :confused:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Scandisk/defrag

It wouldn't hurt to try it, or if you are running XP, try running Defrag in Safe Mode without internet connection.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Boom is right - safe mode is the best way to run Scandisk and Defrag.

Xcusme

Commander

The defrag or scan disk thing is best done offline. Be sure to temporarily disable any screen savers before you start the defrag cycle. If you have a HP printer (possibly other brands too) the printer driver looks to see if there's any files in the print queue. This can interrupt the defrag process. Some scanners have a 'scan now' button. The driver looks every few seconds to see if this button is pressed, this can interrupt the defrag process too. You can try hitting Control-Alt-Delete and go into Task manager. Under applications, click applications and hit end task. The offending program ( that causes and interrupt of the defrag ) then won't be running. It can be a trial and error thing to find the offending program that interrupts the defrag program. Once found, Task Manager the application, and disable it before you start to defrag.

malibu4u

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys for your replies. It sounds like my hunch about the ZA was right and that I should be doing it off line anyway. I forgot to say I am running 98SE but it sure sounds like a person should be running XP in this day and age. I have my maintenance schedule set up to run at 7 in the evening but I guess I will go to the manual mode now. Your input was greatly appreciated.

mikecjn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also run Win 98SE. When I do a defrag and/or scan disk I shut down everything but Explorer and Systray. Also as Xcusme said...shut your screen savers down.<br />I also have always had better luck with a defrag if I ran the Scan Disk prior.<br />Hope that helps.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Its a flaw in some versions of windows.<br />I know some guys that were able to permanently disable this function within windows somewhere. Something to do with +h or +s files or something, windows monitoring the functions of the computer.<br /><br />As said above, I believe that safemode will disable this, and you should be able to run scand and then defrag without a problem.<br /><br />Stop asking these questions, as they bring up bad memories of my pre-Mac computer days. :)

Xcusme

Commander

To some, this is probably ancient history, but still a good read. I found this 3 or 4 years ago.<br /><br />I can't type out the URL (obvious, once you click on the link)<br />Hint: http://www.fu**microsoft...... <br /><br /> Link...<br /><br />p.s. Sorry JB if even this much is offensive. Feel free to toast any or all of this post. I posted this to inform , not to incite.

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by roscoe:<br />Stop asking these questions, as they bring up bad memories of my pre-Mac computer days. :)
;) ....Two weeks and your brainwashed already...LOL.<br /><br />The day I can play all my games on a Mac is the day I get one.... :cool:

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

If you're offline, you might want to disable virus protection. Some virus protectors tend to examine each file that's written by the disk sub-system, which causes additional overhead when defraging.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Xcusme! Incredible article. Do you suppose MS has an aggreement with Big Brother?

KaGee

Admiral

Now for the right way...<br /><br />Go to START<br />Click on RUN<br />Type in MSCONFIG<br />Check "diagnostic startup"<br />click APPLY<br />reboot<br />run your DEFRAG and SCANDISC<br />when finished, re-do this procedure this time checking NORMAL STARTUP, reboot and you are set!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> Now for the right way...<br /><br />Go to START<br />Click on RUN<br />Type in MSCONFIG<br />Check "diagnostic startup"<br />click APPLY<br />reboot<br />run your DEFRAG and SCANDISC<br />when finished, re-do this procedure this time checking NORMAL STARTUP, reboot and you are set!
Kewl, KaGee!!! takes a lot less time than booting to safemode. I checked it out in XP. Does that work for 2000 and 98 as well?

Dunaruna

Admiral

With 98se I do the same as mikecjn, never had a problem.<br /><br />Aldo

Xcusme

Commander

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Xcusme! Incredible article. Do you suppose MS has an aggreement with Big Brother?
Boomyal ,<br /><br />That's a hoot! In bed with Big Brother?? Not likely with the 'theme' of the web site. I think the site author has an axe to grind with MS and isn't shy about telling folks about all the BS that's going on behind your back. Besides, it's too easy to follow the examples and see for yourself , like, what gets toasted when you 'delete your emails" etc. I disabled file indexing on my system. With a 'master list' (index file) on your system, it's too easy to grab that file when you do a Microsoft Update and see every file you have on your system. The file indexing thing can speed up file searches, but at what cost to your personal data security?? Most machines these days are more than fast enough to make up for any negative lag time in file searching. Call me paranoid, but that info is for my eyes only. Do to the nature of my work, I don't leave sensitive data on my machine anyway, that's reserved for an offline computer. Data that I deem sensitive that IS on my machine is encrypted as well. I don't use Microsofts' encryption either for obvious reasons, I don't trust Microsoft as far as I could throw an M1 tank.<br /><br />Oh Gees!! :eek: ....Sorry....I'm done ranting.....(for now at least!) :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

ggoody, no, it took almost 10 years of being hounded by my nephews. Had mine for 9 months now, not two weeks :) <br /><br />I am not a gamer, but the nephews sure are.<br />You might be suprised at the games available for mac. Maybe not all the games you are playing now. But then again, you probably won't be playing those games in a year anyway. You will have moved on to something new. Lots of games are available for mac.<br /><br />Need to use a special program for something, that is not available in a mac version?<br />Just run the program "Virtual PC", and run your program from within it.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Kewl, KaGee!!! takes a lot less time than booting to safemode. I checked it out in XP. Does that work for 2000 and 98 as well?
I know it works on 98SE, not sure about 2000.<br /><br />MS designed that little program for troubleshooting, but it works great for defrag. It turns off everything so there are no background activities which cause your defrag to fail.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Keith, the first time this thang got defragged in 6 years.... Chief :)

Xcusme

Commander

KaGee,<br /><br />It works just fine in Win2K, but you have to copy the file (msconfig)to your WINNT folder(borrow it from a WinXP CD) or go here: Link<br /><br />There's a link to another website that has the file ready for download. Which is here: Direct to file at the bottom of the page. ;)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Another thing to try, usually works and speeds up the process. Hit control alt delete at the same time. The window will come up, click on processes running. End task on everything BUT explorer and systray. Then run scandsk and defrag. This works great when win98 won't defrag or scan. Also works for XP I believe.