Salt-a Way

Coolmaker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone used a product called "Salt-A-Way" to flush their engines. Does this product actually work? It sounds good, but is expensive...<br /><br />Thanks

SeaJayacas

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Salt-a Way

I found it very, very effective on my engine that had restricted cooling passages. Allowed engine to run for a few weeks without any overheat alarms triggered. After a few weeks another couple of doses of salt away fixed it right up.<br /><br />Others have stated that Salt away is no better than dish liquid, or something like that.<br /><br />I no longer own an outboard, but if I did I would flush it regularly with salt away.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe that was me, & I said "I don't know if it is any better than dish washing liquid, but I use Salt-a-Way every time & it works well for Me". When I did my thermostats last year, after 10 seasons of salt water running, 0, none, salt build up, looked like new inside. I believe in it. IMHO, Joe

islandboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've used salt a way and another product that is close to the same thing, salt terminator, on a regular basis. Removed thermostats this spring while I was changing the impellar and the inside of the water passages were very clean. I mix it up in a spray bottle and spray my reels and inside my engine cowling.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

I've just started using Salt-away on my Johnson 150. One thing that concerns me a little is that they say you only need to flush it through your engine for 15s. After usually flushing with fresh water for up to 10 mins this just doesn't seem enough time! Also, won't the thermostats be closed if you only run for a short time - in which case the water won't circulate through the heads? (I usually flush about 15mins after running in the sea.)<br /><br />It is expensive and I bought one of those flusher kits. They say that one pot full is enough to flush your engine and wash down your boat & trailer as well. First time I used it in the weekend, I ended up running one pot through my engine and then another two to wash down boat & trailer.<br /><br />I also have a solution mixed up in a garden sprayer which I carry in the car. Once I have launched my boat, I spray the trailer brakes with it. This avoids leaving the salt baking onto the brakes in the hot sun while you are out boating. <br /><br />How do others use it?

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use plain dish soap, thermostats were extremly clean after 300 hours running in salt water. <br />I don't believe the water passages could get any cleaner than they already are ;) .

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

how do you get the dish soap into engine while running on muffs?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Yes it works.......and you run it on muffs until warm in rinse mode. Then turn to flush..run until it foams, and shut it down. It doesn't remove, just neutralize the salt corrosive effect

BillP

Captain

How do you get an outboard to fit inside a dishwasher?<br /><br />Have any of you looked at the water passages or tstats before using the salt away to see what a difference it made? Just curious because I flush with freshwater at least 5 minutes after each use and my motors have never had a buildup problem.

Perfidiajoe

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have used Salt-a-Way from day 1 on my current engine, & it looks clear, as new inside. I have worked on others that have not, I see quite a difference, but I don't know how or if they use anything to flush it out. I know I've done a couple of the life Guard boats & the don't flush them out, pretty bad.

Seasport

Chief Petty Officer

Now that I think of it my flusher has two positions on it. I guess the idea is to run up to speed on fresh water & then open up the valve to flush with Salt-away for 15s. Duhh, why didn't I think of that.<br /><br />May be a dumb question but how do you know when the thermostat is open? How long does this normally take?<br /><br />I guess with a hacksaw and plenty of time you could get an outboard into a dishwasher.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's not so much the base salt...It's the elements that bond to the salt that restrict the passages. Depending on your local water you can see a lot of differences on engine condition even with identical care on a engine.