Safty Switch Help Please

Reayah

Recruit
I have an 35 hp Evinrude model # 356520 I have replaced the coils, condensers, plugs, and cleaned the points. I did not move the mags. The original owner told me the motor ran fine when he last ran it ten years ago, whom I bought the motor from. He also told me there was no kill switch on Evinrude motors, but I have found out there is. The motor has great compression, and turns over very well, but no spark at all. I found a blue wire coming out of a switch moved by the shifter, and it connects to a white wire leading to the wiring harness going to the dash. I have no dash though, so just the motor. I grounded this wire and still no spark at all. Can someone tell me what else I might be doing wrong?

I will include some pics if this will help.

PICT0037.jpgPICT0038.jpg

Thanks
Reayah

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Safty Switch Help Please

The safety switch has nothing at all to do with the ignition system. It is there to prevent running the electric starter when the shifter is not in neutral.

Your motor has the infamous "Lo-Tension Magneto" that baffles so many people. Actually, it is a simple system. Probably 90% of the no spark conditions are caused by the breaker points. You say you "cleaned" them. Exactly how did you clean them? Remove them from the motor and use some 400 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper to individually polish each contact shiny bright. Make sure there NO contamination on them, even fingerprints or dust from the sandpaper. Re-install them and adjust the gap to .020" at their widest opening point. If you do this, there is that 90% chance it will fix it. But if you don't want to do this, you will be butting your head against the wall till you do. I might add that ONE points set not making good contact will kill the spark on BOTH cylinders.

If this doesn't fix it, you will need to get out your multimeter and do some further testing. Come back for further instructions if it comes to that.

Reayah

Recruit

The safety switch has nothing at all to do with the ignition system. It is there to prevent running the electric starter when the shifter is not in neutral.

Your motor has the infamous "Lo-Tension Magneto" that baffles so many people. Actually, it is a simple system. Probably 90% of the no spark conditions are caused by the breaker points. You say you "cleaned" them. Exactly how did you clean them? Remove them from the motor and use some 400 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper to individually polish each contact shiny bright. Make sure there NO contamination on them, even fingerprints or dust from the sandpaper. Re-install them and adjust the gap to .020" at their widest opening point. If you do this, there is that 90% chance it will fix it. But if you don't want to do this, you will be butting your head against the wall till you do. I might add that ONE points set not making good contact will kill the spark on BOTH cylinders.

If this doesn't fix it, you will need to get out your multimeter and do some further testing. Come back for further instructions if it comes to that.

Thank you for your suggestion. I recleaned the points with 400 grit, and reset the points, but still no spark at all. I pulled the plugs out cranked the motor at a a relatively high speed on a strong battery, holding the spark plug cables, hoping to get zapped but still nothing. I checked the mags with an ohm meter, and they all have continuity. I have not moved the mags because I do not have the right fly wheel to reset the mags. Is there anything else that you would suggest I try? Thank you.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

1. Disconnect the kill wires and see if you have spark.

2. Check the resistance across the points (wires disconnected). Should be zero when closed, infinity when open. ZERO when closed, not an ohm or whatever, Zero.

3. Check the resistance across the driver coil. Sorry, I don't know what it is supposed to be without researching it. But it should not be open or grounded.

4. Is the cam right side up?

5. Check the condensers. One could be shorted, but unlikely.

6. Is the magneto plate ground wire present and connected?

7. You don't have the right flywheel??? What does that mean?

Reayah

Recruit

??? What do you mean about not having "the right flywheel?"

There is a flywheel/Tool that you would use to set the mags, and I do not have that tool, so I did not move the mags. I have only the flywheel that I removed from the motor.

When you said "disconnect the kill switch wires", can you help me Identify what wire your are speaking about. I am only guessing what wire is the kill switch wire.

Thank you
Reayah:confused: