Safety Equipment~is a fire extingusher required in my case or not?

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I always thought that if you had a gas motor you had to have one. But this is a quote of what they say.

At least one B-1 type Coast Guard-approved hand portable fire extinguisher. Not required on outboard motorboats less than 26 feet long and not carrying passengers for hire if the construction of such motorboats will not permit the entrapment of explosive or flammable gases or vapors, and if fuel tanks are not permanently installed.

My boat is a 14' aluminum boat with a 10 HP outboard and portable gas tank.

Do I have to get an extinguisher or not.

alldodge

Staff member
I always thought that if you had a gas motor you had to have one. But this is a quote of what they say.

At least one B-1 type Coast Guard-approved hand portable fire extinguisher. Not required on outboard motorboats less than 26 feet long and not carrying passengers for hire if the construction of such motorboats will not permit the entrapment of explosive or flammable gases or vapors, and if fuel tanks are not permanently installed.

My boat is a 14' aluminum boat with a 10 HP outboard and portable gas tank.

Do I have to get an extinguisher or not.

By "Federal" regulations one is not required for your boat. That said, your state may require one but most likely it will not. You should check to make sure. Here is Fed regs
http://www.boatus.org/guide/equipment_6.html

UncleWillie

Captain
If your boat is of "Open" construction without any decks and the floor is well ventilated, No, Not required.
If it has covered decks like OB drag racing boats, or Bass boats with enclosed spaces under platforms, that would make a difference.

mr 88

Commander
YES you should get one. EVEN if its not law. Leaving port with out one is cheap.stupid and inconsiderate of any passengers that are along for the ride. This is where the addage "it's better to be safe than sorry" comes into play.

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I agree it's a good idea to have one. But I thought the information was rather confusing to say the least.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Reads pretty plain to me..... Open boat w outboard power and only portable tank does not require it.

oldjeep

Admiral
Can't say that I've ever seen a fire extinguisher in a little tin fishing boat.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
The first time yous have a fire on a boat you'll be very glad you have a fire extinguisher,.....

airshot

Rear Admiral
While the coast guard will not require it (federal) the state will in my case Ohio....Ohio DNR says any boat with a gasoline motor requires an extinguisher. Wonder how that will hold up in court????

oldjeep

Admiral
The first time yous have a fire on a boat you'll be very glad you have a fire extinguisher,.....

Grab the life jacket and jump. If my boat catches on fire I'm not trying to put out 50 gallons of fuel with a toy extinguished. The boat is insured.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
We had a guy cut a fuel line on his 6 gallon portable last year where we were camping and he somehow ignited the fuel, he was able to put the line out before it actually ignited the tank.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
While the coast guard will not require it (federal) the state will in my case Ohio....Ohio DNR says any boat with a gasoline motor requires an extinguisher. Wonder how that will hold up in court????

State laws can be more restrictive than Federal law but not less. In other words the State can not pass a law that allows a boat to not require an extinguisher when the Federal law says it has to have one.

I would like to see where they mount the extinguisher on a Jerk Ski and other PWCs in those Ohio type States. In your case just pop for one and toss it in the boat and you won't need to worry about it again.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
all jet ski's have compartments specifically for fire extinguishers and also require them in all states

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer
Grab the life jacket and jump. If my boat catches on fire I'm not trying to put out 50 gallons of fuel with a toy extinguished. The boat is insured.

Depends on where you boat. Jumping in with a life jacket in some places is pretty much suicide (say, Alaska at night). Better to at least have a fighting chance to put the fire out. But then maybe they can use the fire to guide them to you.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Some of the lakes that I boat in here in MT, are pretty remote, very little traffic and are really cold, we have lakes here that average 35 degrees in August, so even trying to swim a half mile in that would be a death sentence for me at this point in my life.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

You don't have your life jacket on????

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Here is what Wisconsin says.

Had a fire in our 12'er years ago, dad was drunk, I was 7, I ended up in the lake.
It wasn't the gas tank , but the Coleman lantern sitting 6" from the gas tank,

[COLOR=rgb(71.400000%, 24.000000%, 16.300000%)]Fire Extinguishers [/COLOR]
  • All vessels are required to have a Type B, USCG? approved fire extinguisher(s) on board if one or more of the following conditions exist:
    ? Inboard/outboard or inboard engine
    ? Closed compartments
    ? Closed living spaces
    ? Closed compartments, including under raised or false

floors, in which flammable or explosive gases or vapors
    may become entrapped
    ? Permanently installed fuel tanks
  • Approved types of fire extinguishers are identified by the following marking on the label??Marine Type USCG Approved??followed by the type and size symbols and the approval number.

So, not required on your size and type of boat, but why not have one?