Safe to start engine with lower (i/o) unit removed?

Captain Ben

Seaman
Boat sank.

Engine was pickled, lower unit is still off boat.

I have just about completed engine repairs but i still have to replace all the bellows. I'd like to try and see if the boat will start, but i don't want to install the lower unit, then take it back off to do bellows and gimbal..

Is it safe to start the engine in neutral?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Safe to start engine with lower (i/o) unit removed?

No, but you can just pull the drive off.

cr2k

Captain

No, but you can just pull the drive off.

What ever that meant? The drive IS off and that is the question.

YES you can, however don not run it for very long as the uncooled exhaust will fry the inside of the exhaust couplers and the flappers. Or add a hose to where the raw water comes in to the thermostat housing.

Captain Ben

Seaman

Perfect. I just want to see if i can get it fired up. Will not run more than 15-20 seconds.

Thanks much mates!

fishrdan

Admiral

Is just the lower unit off or the whole outdrive? If the upper is still attached, remove it. Plug a garden hose into the water passage in the bell housing, 1" round hole with an Oring seal around it.

Captain Ben

Seaman

whole outdrive is off.. forgive my lack of terminology.. picture shows portion which is removed

Attachments

• outdrive.jpg
    outdrive.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 0

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, that's the whole sterndrive ("outdrive"), consisting of the drive shaft housing ("upper unit") and gear housing ("lower unit"). The reason it matters is that running the upper unit without gear lube would be a bad thing.

Yes, you can run the engine with the sterndrive removed. I would definitely run cooling water into the back of the water distribution block, as the others have said. I've done this and had no problems.

Make sure you use an alignment tool when reinstalling the sterndrive. Good luck with the repairs.

Captain Ben

Seaman

not exactly sure how to run the water to it... use a garden hose.. and..

I'll have to take a look at it at first light.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i went to hardware a got a hose repair female end to attach to water hose. used i think 3/ 4 wrapped with electrical tape for a snug fit and shove in the water port in the back used some left over hose i had and glued the two together with some water/oil proof glue. here is a pic . some use a washing machine hose.

DSCN2512.jpg