safe to install battery switch in engine compartment?

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not sure if my new dual battery switch is ignition protected. The booklet doesn't say much, just "make before break" and "don't switch to off while engine is running. "
Is it safe to install this switch inside the engine compartment?
I just want to double check so we don't have an accident.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Think about this. In the OFF position nothing on the boat would work except perhaps an automatic bilge pump. So you now get to the boat and want to run the blowers. What would you do? What you would need to do is turn the switch to Bat 1, Bat 2, or Both so the blowers would come alive. If the blower switch was on BEFORE you turned the dual battery switch on AND the switch was not ignition protected, you create a spark and fumes go poof! So if the switch was NOT ignition protected there could be an issue. But why put the switch where you would need to access the engine bay each time you wanted to use it? Put it where you can easily change the setting.

UncleWillie

Captain
Putting the battery switch in the most convenient location is highly recommended.

In as much as the batteries are commonly located in the engine compartments,
and locating Battery Switch in the vicinity of the batteries is also to be recommended;
It will not be uncommon to find Battery Switches located in engine compartments.

You will also find that is very difficult to find a battery switch that is Not "Ignition Protected".
Everything made by Perko and Blue Seas are Ignition Protected.
It should state "Ignition Protected" in the literature. What Make/Model Switch do you have?
An Ignition Protected Battery Switch in the Engine Compartment is inherently less dangerous than your Ignition Protected Blower Motor that is going to be the explosive gasoline fumes for certain.

If it is convenient to you to install the switch in the Engine compartment there is no inherent reason that you can't, or shouldn't.

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can't post photos for some reason.. but the switch I have is sold by seaflo. I hand seen this same switch sold under different names on eBay and such. It is a white switch with a red detent button. You may have seen it before. It is a cheap model made in China. I'm thinking of buying another, possibly safer switch.

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No, not that one. Doesn't matter. I got a new one. Can't think of the name, made in new zealand. Clearly states on the device, packaging, instruction sheet that it is safe, ignition protected.
What's interesting about this one is that it back mounts, allowing you to wire from the front, then replace the cover. It's going to work out well for me. I'll get the brand name and try again to post a pic.
Thanks guys!