Sadly, my first post on iboats is in SHT.

sandersps

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, I have been a member for a few months now reading all the tales of boating and dreaming of owning a boat of my own. about four weeks ago my wonderful wife came wheeling in the driveway with my birthday present in tow. she had bought me a 1993 bayliner 1950 classic. my first instinct was oh crap, you bought a boat that i have never even seen, or researched on iboats! (shamless plug for my favorite website) So the next day we were off to lake ft. cobb were i got to find out why when you see birds standing in the middle of the lake, you should consider them a navigational beacon.

Flawless everthing works boat- $4500

fuel, lunch and a anchor to take the new boat out-$100

beaching your new boat in 6" of water after 15 minutes- Priceless

I love this website and tell everyone I meet about it. All that I know about boats, including how to un-beach one, I learned from reading the great post from the great members of this site.

sfy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Sadly, my first post on iboats is in SHT.

if that was the only thing that went wrong on your maiden voyage as Captain
of that or any other boat, that aint too bad. mistakes are just a part of the game.

as long as it still floats and noone was hurt, its all good.

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I remember my first trip out. We were going down the Sacramento river and noticed a stick poking out of the water. We wanted to see what it was so we decided to get a little closer. Fortunately for me, I happened to look back to make sure there was no traffic coming up behind us and noticed that my prop wash was awfully brown. The stick turned out to be a black and white shallow water marker.

I reduced to idle and found the deeper water again with no harm to the boat. Hooda thunk that there would be shallow water in the middle of the river? :p

Wayne

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not a bad first outing at all. Ours we learned the hard way why everyone tells you to change the impeller and fluids before you go out no matter what the seller tells you. Our impeller was shot and after tooling up the river 15 minutes away from the dock, we found out real fast why you should have oars handy. Thankfully we started in the river and not the lake. Good luck with the new toy.

sandersps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the support. all was fine except my ego. i had just gotten up the nerve to really open here up, so i beached it at about 38 mph, it was quite the stopping distance.

as far as boat condition, she really did her homework and all behind my back withhout me finding out. she really suprised me.

the previous owner was a little old man who had just bought himself a pontoon. he was very picky about his boat and it came with a book of instructions on how to keep it in as good condition as he did. with that kind of dedication to his boat, it only feels right to keep it that nice.

I installed a trim gauge which led to replacing the trim sender. that is the only problem i have found so far, and mostly due to my need to fiddle with the boat.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Much better than some folks first voyages. We all learn from them and get better with it.
Enjoy your new boat.:)

Micahhaase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats the kind of guy I would like to buy all my boats from...Seeing your from mustang maybe one day we will see each other at a local lake around here

avenger79

Lieutenant Commander

LOL standing birds huh? glad there wasn't more damage then an ego. I bet the wife had a "special" look for you after doing that. LOL

now fess up, how many times has she since said " oh honey watch out for that shallow spot" :)
yeah i ask only because 20 years ago i swamped a truck while wheeling. the lovely lady who was copiloting still mentions it everytime my tires touch anything other then asphalt. LOL

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't sweat it. I had been boating for 6 years when for some unknown reason I cut between two islands that I grew up being told not to do. To this day my wife likes to tell people not to cut through there and why...:eek:

Although, I did get a new boat out of it.:redface:

Thad

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You have a great wife and sounds like, a great boat. Few people luck out on the used boat market like that. Enjoy both of them; maintain them well and run them hard frequently!

PS anyone who hasn't run aground hasn't boated. But the take-away is that you can't make assumptions on the water that you can on land. Seldom will you be driving on an unfamiliar road and have it collapse under you. But the equivalent on the water is not true: that seemingly clear path of water can be a trap. You xcanb learn to read the surface, get polarized glasses, study charts and listen to locals. But be careful and slow down in the new areas. You can get hurt.

gbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Could you have your wife talk to mine..... your a lucky guy

btaylor507

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I figured I would share my first trip with my first boat. I just purchased it and didn't even have a motor for it. So I borrowed my boss's. (Complete opposite, my wife didn't even know I bought a boat) So anyways I got home from work and rounded them up for the 1st trip out. We're underway going about 25mph when all of a sudden the boat jared and stopped and the motor came flying up! My wife was shocked. She was like what happend. I didn't say anything and just jumped out of the boat. For a split second she had the most shocked look on her face until she realized we were in 4 inches of water and I was standing on sand (middle of the lake). We both had a good laugh and I walked the boat out to where it was deeper. lol Glady nobody was hurt and the motor ran fine after.

Cheers!
-Bill

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome aboard!

My first post here was also on the SHT forum. Forgot to unhook transom
straps.:p

In year two of boating now, I think every time we go out I learn something.
To me one of the scariest things is boating in unfamiliar water.

KC4YIN

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll bet his wife can also back a trailer with the best of us too!!!

sandersps

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats the kind of guy I would like to buy all my boats from...Seeing your from mustang maybe one day we will see each other at a local lake around here

I will keep an eye out for you. we spend most of our time at fort cobb, it is a pretty nice lake for only 45 minutes from the house, we are headed out there again on sunday. takes me about an hour to get to dirtybird in norman.

got the boat at the end of july so probably will start trying other lakes next spring.

anorris6

Recruit

I got my first boat a little over a week ago. 1988 glassport with 3.0L merc. got it into the water, it floated, the truck wasnt wet, ok so far so good. forgot it was carb, didnt choke, flooded, baffled had to ask guy at marina for help. looked like an idiot. whats worse, im a trained motorcycle technician! did find out my idle was low and i need a new belt though. runnin some seafoam through it to make sure the idle is truely low or is its just been sitting for a while. bringing the tools along for next outing fun fun fun. have fun with your boat man

NHGuy

Captain

I got my first boat a little over a week ago. 1988 glassport with 3.0L merc. got it into the water, it floated, the truck wasnt wet, ok so far so good. forgot it was carb, didnt choke, flooded, baffled had to ask guy at marina for help. looked like an idiot. whats worse, im a trained motorcycle technician! did find out my idle was low and i need a new belt though. runnin some seafoam through it to make sure the idle is truely low or is its just been sitting for a while. bringing the tools along for next outing fun fun fun. have fun with your boat man
Good idea to seafoam it and have some hand tools along. My idle changes with different gas brands.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I found 16inch deep water in the middle of Lake Texoma-(89,000 acres) just in front of Lowe's HighPoint Marina the 1st outing in my Wellcraft-- no damage but felt like a fool.

enjoy your new boat sanders!

AndyTblc

Cadet

now I'm 21, I learned how to drive boats right when I got my boaters license in 6th grade. I learned from my uncle who owns a few boats and has also piloted 60' yachts as well. So I'm no dummy when it comes to boats.
I have learned from his mistakes, I have made a couple.
Like 2 years ago, my friends and her family live on the lake I go to, they know NOTHING about boats, yet they owned one, they never used it, so one day we had some friends over to her house, I seen the boat and said lets go on it, she said they don't know how to run it. So I told them I could run it. So we used it for a couple years. And had a few problems, the alternator froze up, and the cover leaked so when it rained, water filled up to the seats.
Well I had to pull it out of the water for them, so I put it on the trailer, and they fixed it, so the dad said every thing is set, all I have to do is put it in the water. Well, to make a long story short. We get in the boat, I start to go, it feels boggy, so I tell my friend something isn't right.

So she reaches in the glove compartment and askes what "this" is.
Anyone want to take a guess on to what "this" is? Yup, the plug. So I beach the boat, literally JUMP into the water with all my cloths on, keys and cell phone in my pocket, and try to put the plug in, but I can't reach it, so I am running the bilge pump and she is bailing water out, because there is a piece of floor that comes out, so we get most of the water out, and I run and get the trailer and have to wait in line at the 4 ramps for one to open,
Luckily there is nobody behind me so I put it on the trailer, and leave it sit right on the ramp looking to see if anyone comes up, then 2 out of the 4 (including me) leave the ramp, so me and another guy is occupying the ramp. because I would have moved if there was somebody in line.

But all the water is drained out, and away we go. I did almost get sick to my stomach, between that and another thing that happened that day at the boat launch (never EVER let a girl drive your truck) She was not my girl friend, she was just a friend, and it was a busy day at the launch, so I told her when I back the boat off the trailer, to pull my truck up and to the side while I beach it and can come to the truck to park it.
So I get in the boat and get it half way backed up and she just got into the truck and she starts pulling ahead WHILE I"M STILL HALF ON THE TRAILER!!! So I yell stop and she gets mad.
So I gets it backed off, I beach it, and jump off, and I see her turning the corner to go park it.
Now she is used to a Pontiac Grand Am, a small car, never drove a pick up truck let alone a truck with a trailer, so I'm running as fast as I can to her yelling stop, and I see her turn into a spot between 2 trucks with their trailer.
I see the trailer that was behind my truck go up in the air, and a crash. she cut it to short into a VERY nice trailer. It busted their tail light and that was it. So I quick picked up the pieces, left a note with HER number on it. And I went and moved the truck to the other lot, and it dented the wheel well and so I had to get my pliers and bend it back.

I still can safely say that since I got my license on my 16th birthday I have never had a ticket or accident.
But after that I got sick to my stomach.

Also my phone didn't work and I did not loose my keys, but for my phone, I put it in a bag of rice for 3 days and it soaked all the moisture out and it worked just fine.

But for boating incidents...I have only wrecked 1 prop, And if anyone is familiar with Gun Lake in Michigan, you know that can challenging lake, because there are shallow parts, rocky parts, rice pattys, and what not. I know that lake like the back of my eyes. I know where every shallow spot is, where every rock. I have been told for a 21 year old I can land a boat very well. But every summer being on a boat all the time since I was in 6th grade now going on my 4th year of college, I know my stuff.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

As long as ya both were okay, no real harm done to the boat/engine, then ya have the makings of a funny story for years to come.

I stuffed a pontoon 20 years ago and I am still called Captain Nemo!