Rusty spark plug. Bad engine?

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just got permission to check out this 3.0 liter Mercruiser before I buy it. What a sharp 1996 Bayliner with less than 100 hours on it. The problem is when I pulled the spark plugs, the #1 plug had water between the gap. The plug was rusty. I dipped a screwdriver thought the plug hole and there is rusty waster on top of the piston. This boat was not winterized, and it get down to about zero here in the winter. Is there any chance the motor is still good. I did not try to turn it over.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rusty spark plug. Bad engine?

Howdy, OilSlick.<br /><br />Run, do not walk, away from that boat. The engine needs some major work and a neglected Bayliner (if he neglected the engine, he must have neglected the boat, too) is a tragedy waiting for a new owner.<br /><br />100 hours sounds nice, but 7 years without care sounds terrible.<br /><br /> :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I guess there is no question on which intake valve was open when it was stored improperly. :rolleyes: <br /><br />I imagine that a ring of rust lives within. That will only lead to major cylinder problems.<br /><br />Bob

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

I 2nd J B C'S post,Rest easy there are many nice used boats around.<br /> By the way 100 hrs @ 6 years, is that a quote or was the hr.meter installed 2 years ago?

MURX

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree "run" the most troubled engine out there besides the FARCE.... add bayliner to the mix and what you have is double you're trouble... buy yourself a boat with a chevy V8 merc or volvo drive forget about the 4cyl garbage and if you see another one with a FARCE outboard you better pick up the pace and really run