rusty looking liquid

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys, I am working on a 1964 johnson CD-21A, first can any one tell me what the A stands for? When I got this motor it was stuck from sitting(?) I purchased a bunch of motors after the local small engine guy died. I put some deep creep in the cylinders and let it set for a few weeks then broke it free by turning the flywheel nut with a wrench gently back and forth till it turned freely. It took me a while to get to it, but I tested the compression and had 120 one the upper cly and 90 on the lower. I know this is quite a difference between the two but after spending half my life reading posts on here, I figured it may be a stuck ring. So I thought i would get it running and do a decarb and check again. I had the coils and points amongst the stuff I had bought and I put new plug wires on it and got great spark. I had a carb kit and did that too. I put it in a garbage can of water and got it to start, it ran a few seconds and quit, and then wouldn't start. So I pulled the plugs and found they were fouled with a rusty colored goop. So I cleaned them and tried again, same thing. Then I was looking at the oil return hose (I have a parts manual for a ev fisherman 5512 & 5513) and saw it had cracks in it that were oozing the same brown crud. I took it off and some more came out especially after I put my drill on the flywheel nut and spun it a few times. My question to you is what is this crud? and how do I clean it out of the interior of the motor? Is there any way i could fill up the crankcase with say varsol and then drain it or is a complete tear down necessary? thanks guys

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: rusty looking liquid

Hi guys, I am working on a 1964 johnson CD-21A, first can any one tell me what the A stands for? When I got this motor it was stuck from sitting(?) I purchased a bunch of motors after the local small engine guy died. I put some deep creep in the cylinders and let it set for a few weeks then broke it free by turning the flywheel nut with a wrench gently back and forth till it turned freely. It took me a while to get to it, but I tested the compression and had 120 one the upper cly and 90 on the lower. I know this is quite a difference between the two but after spending half my life reading posts on here, I figured it may be a stuck ring. So I thought i would get it running and do a decarb and check again. I had the coils and points amongst the stuff I had bought and I put new plug wires on it and got great spark. I had a carb kit and did that too. I put it in a garbage can of water and got it to start, it ran a few seconds and quit, and then wouldn't start. So I pulled the plugs and found they were fouled with a rusty colored goop. So I cleaned them and tried again, same thing. Then I was looking at the oil return hose (I have a parts manual for a ev fisherman 5512 & 5513) and saw it had cracks in it that were oozing the same brown crud. I took it off and some more came out especially after I put my drill on the flywheel nut and spun it a few times. My question to you is what is this crud? and how do I clean it out of the interior of the motor? Is there any way i could fill up the crankcase with say varsol and then drain it or is a complete tear down necessary? thanks guys

You are looking for a magic (cheap & easy) way out. It isn't going to happen. Water has been getting into the powerhead, and in fact still is. It will certainly destroy the bearings, etc, if it hasn't already. That powerhead needs to be stripped completely down and inspected. You will find the water leak when you do it. Sorry if I sound pessimistic, but it may be junk. But maybe you will get lucky.

OR, the option is to find and fix the leak and take the chance that it will throw a rod through the crankcase.

phineas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks,, I suspected it was water intrusion, not sure how though. This motor and the 20 or so others have not run in a long time and were kept in a barn for years, and was tested in water by me for the first time yesterday, so what was in there must have been there for a while. Well this one may be a candidate for my first complete tear down.

James R

Commander

The brown stuff is rust and you can be sure that the crank and bearings are shot. The rust comes up with the fuel. It is, of course, coming off the cylinder walls as well but a motor left along time will have crank problems. Just scrapped a Merc 9.8 with similar issues.