Rusted Hole broke thru housing on I/O - Is it a water jacket?

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mercruiser Pre-Alpha approx 1976..<br /><br />On the back of the upper housing just below the cap, a rust hole popped thru today.<br /><br />Saw rust mark from when the water dribbled down about an inch out of the hole.<br /><br />I'm trying to remember if this location is a water jacket inside the I/P upper housing?<br /><br />I think Yes.. because last time I had the cap off to count the gears I saw 2 water jackets to the rear of the gear section that looked like they went straight down the backside of the upper housing.<br /><br />Am I right or no?<br /><br />Thanks.

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rusted Hole broke thru housing on I/O - Is it a water jacket?

captain, yep, it is a water passage.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Hello<br /> wow thats a lot of corrosion. you may try to use JB weld or marine tex to repair it. it is a cooling passage desighned to help make the upper case run cooler.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Bondo

Staff member

What you see rusted out is Supposed to be a SSteel Welch Plug....<br />I Think that's a Dry cavity in the housing on the Mod.1 outdrives.....????

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok then, at least I know that if the hole became exposed to allow salt water IN, I don't have to worry about the water getting into the outdrive oil, or any other important components etc..<br /><br />Looks like I'll spend the winter looking for an Alpha outdrive, cuz if this thing is begining to rot from the inside out, it's not staying on my boat..that's for sure!<br /><br />Thanks again.

flashback

Captain

hey bondo, is that welch plug the same thing as a scottish or irish plug? just couldn't resist. HA HA HA .. seriously tho, i wonder how it got that name?