rust on trailer indictive of owner boat neglect ?

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer
This is the Monterey 214FS I was looking at buying. From the pictures, my biggest concern is the rust on trailer. There seem to be a "smear" on the outdrive pic as well, owner may have banged on something? This is a one owner. He bought it southern california by the coast, Orange County - Huntington Beach area. Can someone explain how the rust develop on the trailer fender? I guess the trailer paint must have chipped in that area from standing. Over time, rust developed? Should I let this worry me? I mean, if the owner didn't bother to take care of the trailer, he may not flushed the system out each time he took it to the salt? I hadn't asked him about this yet but I'm sure he took it out to the salt as he lives right by it. He dragged the boat 1000 miles up here to the NW area due to relocation. The boat looks like new condition from the pictures. I just don't understand why he neglected the trailer?

One question is, if he didn't flush the system each time he took it to the salt, would a marine mechanic be able to tell during an inspection?
What can you do to remedy the rust? Would i have to get a machine/trailer shop to cut that piece out and attach a new fender?

Attachments

• P2241038.JPG
    P2241038.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P2241040.JPG
    P2241040.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P2241049.JPG
    P2241049.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P2241053.JPG
    P2241053.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • P2241055.JPG
    P2241055.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 0

Tuna Van

Seaman Apprentice
Re: rust on trailer indictive of owner boat neglect ?

That would be trailer neglect

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

Here are some more pictures. I guess the rust got to more portion of the trailer than I thought. See tongue pic.

Attachments

• P2241033.JPG
    P2241033.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 0
  • P2241035.JPG
    P2241035.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P2241041.JPG
    P2241041.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P2241046.JPG
    P2241046.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
  • P2241047.JPG
    P2241047.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 0

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat itself looks very clean. What year is it. The rest of the trailer also looks pretty good. Should be able to replace that fender without much trouble. May be an isolated maintance issue.

As far as the true condition of the boat goes:

If you are not going to have it surveyed then, get it inspected by a good marine mechanic that can check the engine ( compression test and all the needed things).

Looks can be deceiving.

Good luck.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

BTW, I'm also looking at a Larson 21' LXI as well. Same engine, same year '05. Difference is that the Larson is cheaper by 2k, Beam is 8' versus 8'6" for the Monty, 55hours versus 80 hours for the Monty, Trailer is probably galvanized. Most likely the Larson never seen salt as he lives far inland. The owner is going to send me some pictures of the Larson. I've scouted the web for some pic and I really like the Larson layout too.

mthieme

Captain

Fenders are cheap - ~$25.

salmonee

Chief Petty Officer

The larson should look similar to these pictures. Same color. The interior looks plush...:cool:

Attachments

• 04_LXI_208_CMYK.jpg
    04_LXI_208_CMYK.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 06larson_2.JPG
    06larson_2.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 06larson_4.JPG
    06larson_4.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 06larson_5.JPG
    06larson_5.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 0

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The trailer is probably not made by the manufacturer, it may alos be older than the boat. They are gnerally not made as well and corrode easier. Look into the trailer details. Some owners launched the boat when it was new and may have not used the trailer for years. Ike

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

We obviously boat in saltwater here on the coast in Florida and honestly I have seen very few painted trailers. They are either galvanized or aluminum/galvanized. For a painted trailer to be in saltwater and look that good is rare.
You did not say how old the rig was? The rest of the boat/motor look to be in very good condition.
You should still seek the opinion of a marine surveyor or mechanic to give you a heads up on the rest of the boat

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

The fender doesn't seem to be the only clue that there may be issues with this boat.

Take a look at the first picture you posted. The picture with the outdrive. There are obvious rust stains on the white fiberglass below the outdrive. I'm no expert but that to me seems strange. The thought I have going through my head is that the rust is an indication that the motor/manifolds have significant corrosion in them. I'm not sure if the VP outdrive has some exhaust/cooling water exit right at the transom but if it does it could be the water is rust stained when run through the motor and then stains the fiberglass.

rentprop1

Petty Officer 1st Class

that trailer looks like its a box frame rather that like [ or C channel ??

it might be rusting from the inside out, if it was not flushed properly, I have seen many up north painted trailers that were made for fresh water rust to hell in one season in salt water...check it out

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

We obviously boat in saltwater here on the coast in Florida and honestly I have seen very few painted trailers. They are either galvanized or aluminum/galvanized. For a painted trailer to be in saltwater and look that good is rare.
You did not say how old the rig was? The rest of the boat/motor look to be in very good condition.
You should still seek the opinion of a marine surveyor or mechanic to give you a heads up on the rest of the boat

what he said...

reelfishin

Captain

The trailer actually looks good if it was used in saltwater. The fender probably lost it's paint being used as a step. If that's the worst part, no biggie, it's nothing some sandblasting and paint would fix.
If your running in saltwater, then you will want to look into a galvanized trailer. Being in a saltwater area here, most painted trailers don't last much beyond a season.
All trailer hardware rusts, I've yet to see a major brand trailer made with anything but plain steel bolts which turn brown in a few months even if they never see saltwater. I have a 2 year old Load Rite galvanized on which ever last bolt and U bolt is thoroughly rusted, it's never even seen the water yet as its been used solely to keep a project boat on.

That boat looks pretty clean, the real tell tale will be in a good long sea test. Take along someone knowledgeable about boats and motors if your not.
A marine survey is a good idea, but you can spend a lot of money on a lot of surveys finding a perfect used boat. A buddy of mine went through probably a dozen surveys before he found a boat that passed their inspection in his price range. He probably spent as much on all the boat surveys as he did the boat, maybe more.
(I bought one of the boats that the surveyor failed, yes it needed a motor but I got it right). The way I see it, if your buying a used boat, your looking to save a buck, and if anyone is selling a used boat, they either need the money or there's something wrong with it that is making them sell. With this in mind, I usually look more for the real reason a boat is for sale first. While it is often just that they need the money or the boat is too small, more often than not, there's something they don't want to deal with that's wrong with the boat. The best deals are when you see a newer, much larger boat sitting there already, or someone who can no longer make the payments. But keep in mind that if they were having trouble making the payments, they most likely couldn't afford any maintenance either.

superpop

The trailer has definitly seen some salt water. It also looks like they did not take very good care of it. I have a 3 year old painted trailer and it still looks new, but it has never been in the salt. The other concern I had was with the one picture you had of the motor, there looked to be rust in between the riser and manifold, that is bad if it means that the risers or manis are rusting out and wicking some rust out. I would look that boat over very carefully. And definitely get a marine mechanic to go over it with a fine tooth comb. And I would always take a freshwater only boat over one that was even suspected of being in the salt at some point. It is just my opinion but once you expose a boat to salt, you start the clock ticking on parts corroding and eventually failing.

cadunkle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I boat in brackish water usually, and sometimes flat out salt (ocean is only an hour by either trailerig or driving boat). I wouldn't sweat a little rust on the trailer. As long as it isn't structural your fine. Just sand blast and re-paint, repeat every year or two. Exhaust manifolds and such are also consumable parts when boating in salt water without a clsoed coolant system. Get used to it. Inspect every season, only costs a few bucks for gaskets. Replace when necessary, flush with fresh water after every outing to prolong engine life, partoicularly manifolds. Also hose off the trailer after every use in salt/brackish water. Just part of the game, you gotta pay to play.

superpop

I think this guys concern is that he is not mechanically inclined and if the previous owner did boat in salt and did not properly flush it after every outing then all components of the motor are compromised in my opinion. This can get scary expensive if you are paying someone to check this stuff out annually. And if Saltwater sat in the motor for any period of time then it is a matter of time before something happens. I think you will be much better off with a boat that is Freshwater only, even on a 4 or 5 year old boat.

reelfishin

Captain

............................ I think you will be much better off with a boat that is Freshwater only, even on a 4 or 5 year old boat.

I have to agree with this part completely, I always try to go inland to find my boats, it's bad enough they will get run in or near saltwater here, I prefer to have a fresh start when it comes to preventing corrosion, even on an older boat.

In saltwater, there's no stopping rust, even galvanized trailers rust out eventually, galvanization is a sacrificial coating, it don't last forever, just like your zincs on your boat and outdrives.
Often the damage is done while the trailer sits all day covered if salt while your out boating. I rarely run in full ocean salt, but even the bays and lower river have salt content here, so I try to launch as far upstream as I can so long as I can make a run to the bay without it taking all morning.
As stated above, if you run in saltwater, manifolds are a consumable item, even if your freshwater cooled, the manifolds are not. Manifolds, lower units, water pumps, all are exposed to salt. You have to run them for a bit to really flush them out once you get home, not just a quick hose down. I flush my motors and use a salt neutralizer as well. They sell one here at iboats as well. It works, I've used this for years and have not had any motor or outdrive corrosion since. I keep a barrel with treated water which I run my outboards in after every outing, saltwater use or not. It does wonders on fishing tackle as well.

http://www.iboats.com/Kwik_Tek_Salt...14970563--**********.377671903--view_id.21160

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is a very common problem with painted trailers, they are pretty, but once the paint is chipped they are going to rust. does not matter if it is fresh or salt water. get it, takes a sanding disc, clean it up, and paint with rustoleum. don't let that little bit of rust throw the sale of the great boat.

capt sam

Don't get all flustered about flushing the motor either, if you don't do it within 20 minutes or so of running in salt water, the salt has already dried up in there, heck I freshwater flush every trip and when I pull a head it's still all crusty in there. Some guys never flush down here, they just know it's a maintenance thing every few years but it's not the end of the world.....I have alot more issues if the boat sits very long then I ever had with salt.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd be more worried about the vice-grips in the cup holder :) In my world that always means something's broke and being rigged together. My uncle had a pair holding his steering rack together for years. I think he found it easier just to buy a new pair of vice grips.

Anyways, beautiful boat. The Larson sounds nice as well. Good luck. Boating season is just around the corner.

Oh, and on topic....my trailer looks like sh!t but I take care of the boat!