Rust on inside of engine room from underwater hardware

johndoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have three screws, on each side, for a total of six. These screws are attaching a stainless support arm or strut to the back lower part of the transom... the support arm is supporting the extended swim step. These screws are underwater and the boat is moored most of the time...
This boat is a 2004 Regal 2665. Problem is, there is rust streaks running
from the inside of the engine room where these screws penetrate...
I am going to remove the screws, drill, clean and seal the holes and replace the screws with the boat out of the water...... but not sure how to clean the rust off... this is a rough surface with no gel coat... it is in the enigine room and extremely hard to get to, unless you are a smurph...
Any smurph's out there?

Should I use a wire brush, or wheel...?

any help is appreciated.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Rust on inside of engine room from underwater hardware

Try products that remove rust stains from cloths, bath fixtures, and the like. I used them on rust stained vinyl upholstry without damage to the vinyl. The common rust stain remover products found in the super market should be safe for use on fiberglass/gel coat. I think the one I used was "CLR" brand. (Calcium, Lime, Rust).

Also be sure the hardware is stainless steel too. The screws & nuts should not be rusting. I have seen OEM setup where stainless transome eyes were mounted on the outside of the transome, but non-stainless nuts were used on the inside. It got the same rust streaks you speak of because the nuts eventually get wet and started to rust. I replaced them with stainless. Check to see if that is not the case with your boat. It may really not be leaking, condensation could be making a non-stainless nut or washer rust.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rust on inside of engine room from underwater hardware

seal your bolts with 3m4200.