Runs til gas gone in carb and quits

tpls63

Cadet
I have a 1995 20 HP Merc outboard tiller, pull start.
I have new fuel line and bulb and line is clean to carb. Carb freshly rebuilt.
Engine starts good after priming but only runs a short time and then dies. I re-prime and it'll do the same thing again and again.
What should I be looking for?
Thank you!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Probably time to rebuild the fuel pump. Remove the pump output hose to the carb and see if it spurts gas while pulling the rope.. Try to catch the gas, but most likely there won't be any.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Probably time to rebuild the fuel pump. Remove the pump output hose to the carb and see if it spurts gas while pulling the rope.. Try to catch the gas, but most likely there won't be any.

I believe the fuel pump is part of the carb on that motor.. And no outlet hose..

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
I have had DIYers install mounting gasket wrong so pulse hole doesn't drive fuel pump....check gasket.

tpls63

Cadet
Ok thank you all. I’ll pull the carb apart and check the gaskets and let you know later today.

tpls63

Cadet
Faztbullet That was exactly the problem. The kit came with several gaskets and I grabbed the one closest to the old one and didn't notice the hole in the gasket didn't match the hole in the block. It's running good again.
Thanks again for the help all!