Running Yamaha on Flush Fitting

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Don't let it out, but I am going to disclose a well kept secret.

The Yamaha Owner's Manual is written for (roll drum here) an owner. Billions of them. One of which will be the dumbest box of rocks on the planet.

Because Yamaha has no idea as to which stupid person, or persons, will own their motors, the Owner's Manual is written to reach the dumbest of them all.

The Owner's Manual applies to guess who? An owner. It does not apply to a trained Yamaha mechanic. Or even a well versed owner.

The situation is that if a garden hose is connected to the flush fitting, and the tap to the garden hose is turned fully open, then two things happen. Water goes into the block and immediately goes down and wets the water pump impeller. Water will then proceed to fill up the block and heads. If the motor is started and run at an idle RPM then no damage will occur to either the water pump or the motor itself.

Assuming that water is provided to the motor first instead of some dumb arse starting the motor and then proceeding to hook up his hose to the flush fitting.

There is actually less risk of idling the motor and causing damage using the garden hose flush fitting than there is of flush muffs becoming detached from the motor while the motor is running.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Yamaha Owner's Manual is written for (roll drum here) an owner. Billions of them. One of which will be the dumbest box of rocks on the planet.

Because Yamaha has no idea as to which stupid person, or persons, will own their motors, the Owner's Manual is written to reach the dumbest of them all.

The Owner's Manual applies to guess who? An owner. It does not apply to a trained Yamaha mechanic. Or even a well versed owner.

The situation is that if a garden hose is connected to the flush fitting, and the tap to the garden hose is turned fully open, then two things happen. Water goes into the block and immediately goes down and wets the water pump impeller. Water will then proceed to fill up the block and heads. If the motor is started and run at an idle RPM then no damage will occur to either the water pump or the motor itself.

Assuming that water is provided to the motor first instead of some dumb arse starting the motor and then proceeding to hook up his hose to the flush fitting.

There is actually less risk of idling the motor and causing damage using the garden hose flush fitting than there is of flush muffs becoming detached from the motor while the motor is running.
On another post I saw someone say that the thermostat won't open unless the hose has a lot of pressure. I don't think thats correct, but it did get me wondering if the water route from the hose thru the engine bypasses the thermostat or if when flushing you need to run until the engine heats up enough to open the thermostat.

SoCalPescador

Seaman
New Yamaha owner here. I did find/see/read about the flush connection. Not too fond of these connections. My previous boat had a Honda 50 and Honda sells a fitting connected to motor and then garden hose to fitting. I did not use it.

I remove all doubt about cooling and potential damage and use one of the ubiquitous blue 55 gallon drums with a hose bib mounted near bottom to adjust flow and drain, and a hose connection mounted near top. Works perfect for longer runs times, especially when tuning/servicing.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral

What the hell is wrong with you!!!! Now you insult owners of Yamahas because they may not have a lot of knowledge. IF and that is a big IF you were a professional you know that those are the people that keep the doors open at the dealerships. So why insult them and call them stupid? Why insult Yamaha for making their manuals easy to read and understand for the average owner?

Last edited: