Running warm after overheat event

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2014 V8-380-CD.

Closed cooling.

My marina gets to less than 2’ of water at low tide. When docking yesterday, I had my first overheat event after expecting it to happen someday after all these years of docking in shallow muddy water.

Alarm sounded while at idle speed and I immediately saw the issue, 190F on temp gauge. Shut it down, waited a few seconds, re-fired it to attempt to get water moving, did that a few times, and temps finally reduced to normal range of 160-162f.

Back at marina today, I idled it and temps would rise to 165f and then drop back down to 160ish when thermostat would open. Engine running smooth whole time.

Took it out and above 3k rpms temp would just continue to climb. I backed off when it would get to 170f. Below 3k rpms it would run at normal temp.

Back at marina I inspected impeller, expecting to see damage, but all was well. Housing was unscored. I swapped in a new impeller anyway.

Drained the heat exchanger by removing the bottom plate and mostly clear water poured out, some minor plant debris, too.

Inspected the intake ducts on the outdrive with boat out of water, and they looked clear.

Buttoned it up and put it back in water, and same temp issue is happening.

Motor always runs correctly, no evidence of combustion product in the coolant or oil, which would suggest intact head gaskets.

On a car, this would suggest a clogged or damaged radiator, as the thermostat is opening and relying on heat exchange to happen.

Suggestions on what to try next? Flush the exchanger?

alldodge

Staff member
Need to back flush everything. VP has the fitting on top the drive where the water comes in from the drive that gets clogged easy

To double check your temp gauge use an IR temp gun and the thermostat housing

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You have to back flush the mud and rocks out of the system

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks. Can you guys confirm the direction of flow with the raw water system? Gimbal to thermostat housing to exchanger to raw water pump to exhaust? The pump pulls through the exchanger?

I popped the top off the exchanger this morning and found some plant debris covering some channels. Will check the rest of the pathways.

alldodge

Staff member
Gimbal to raw water pump to exchanger to exhaust. Pump pushes water thru exchanger

VP might go gimbal to power steering cooler to raw water

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With the help of my phone camera I was able to see the bottom of the exchanger clearly and darned if 24 of the 25 cooling channels in the feed area weren't clogged with grit and mud. I'm surprised the temps were under control as much as they were with such low flow.

With the help of a metal clothes hanger I cleaned all of the questionable passages in the exchanger and then did a flow check on all the raw water hoses in the system, including the fuel cooler.

Will see how she does under load this weekend.