Running on Muffs

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer
When running on water Muffs, should you take the Prop off? I know your not to run it above 1,000 or 1,500 RPM's, just wondering about the Prop spinning back there. <br /><br />This is on a 350 Mag MPI, 5.7 I/O. Thanks for any quick answers.<br /><br />GodsBeast

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Running on Muffs

Others will tell you not to because of safety concerns. I've done it lots with no problems. I just never stick my foor in it. I don't stick my fingers in fan belts either and I've started lots of cars with the hood open. It won't hurt the engine as far as I can see.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

My foor? I think I must have lost a finger somwhere... I also don't put it in gear, the prop windmills a bit but there's no real power behind it.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Airman, I have the Forward, Neutral, and Reverse type shifter, You have to put it in gear to rev the engine above idle. No seperate idle lever or button. So that means, take the prop off, right?

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Airman, I have no problem taking it off, I just want to be sure that I am not going to hurt something running it, with the Prop off, for some reason.

D

DJ

GB,<br /><br />You should be able to rev your engine beyond idle in nuetral. There may be a button on your gear shift lever that you pull out to disengage the gear shift mechanism allowing throttle up. <br />Or, your handle slides in or out to accomplish the same thing.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

I will go out and check Djohns, but this is one of those that is ready (has the harness) but the Smart Craft is not installed. I looked to high HECK, but never was able to see an engine idle, if I am forced to bring it in, that is one thing I will address, I want it idled up some. Has killed a few times going from forward, to neutral, to try to back up. <br /><br />WIll check again for any engine rev, while in neutral.<br /><br />Will I hurt anything taking the PROP off?

tylerin

Commander

I've had a shifter that actually pulled out sideways (towards you horizontally away from the boat to put in rev mode) No need to pull prop, I just tie up the lab

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, Tylerin, I check the handle again, thanks for the tip about the lab. No need to tie her up though, the spoiled baby is in the bed with the wife.

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, this is just something I heard, but another poster mentioned that running the engine with the prop turning is actually better for the outdrive since the oil gets pumped around. <br /><br />I dunno, maybe it's just hearsay.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, guys, I tried to get it started with the Prop on, I am having trouble starting it, nothing to do with the Prop, now that the Lab is in the bed and out of the way, that and not doing damage to the engine or drive was my main concearn. Because of the Engine Miss, see other thread, No worries as of this time, I can't get it started.

loadnet

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe you have a vacum leak causing your engine not to start..<br /><br />See my reply to your earlier post.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

It won't hurt the drive to start w/o a prop on. It's just a hassle, that's all. It is worth pulling occasionally and regreasing the shaft to prevent the prop from getting frozen on. I can't believe that you can't rev your engine in neutral. I've only ever seen one boat like that and it's a 1930ish tug boat. Keep looking for the neutral button. If you have 2 stations its common for only one to be able to rev in neutral.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Airman, It looks like your right. When talking to the Odyssey dealer, he said that what I thought was just a black plastic nut cover, was actually a button to push in and the lever would then act as a throttle. The dealer also said that normally this feature is not used much with the Computer set up, controling the motor, a lot better than they used too. So I guess it is just proof that the motor has been running pretty good up till now.<br /><br />It could be the coil like someone else posted, I might try to change that tomorrow, just to make sure, if it does not work, hey I will have a spare to keep in a Ziplock bag in case! <br /><br />But I betting the dealer is right, with the RPM reading being so iratic between switching Props, that there is some kind of computer control setting that has been off all along, which has worsened, or caused something else to finally go K put! <br /><br />Thanks for making me question my dealer, and learning that I can rev my engine. I might even try it, if I ever get it started again :rolleyes: <br /><br />Also Airman, I have no problem removing my Prop, I have been changing the prop every other weekend, trying to find the right prop, so I know it has been well greased. I also plan to keep it greased, and pull it from time to time.<br /><br />So far as pulling it when running on Muffs, I will ask the diagnostic testers, which way they prefer, I just have to warn the wife not to let my lab out, when testing. She is one of those that likes to stick her nose all up in where I am working on something. She has to be close, like she is helping or something. Otherwise, she has a nice seperate fenced in area, I can put her in when we have family functions outdoors. <br /><br />CaptHooknfinger, I think I answered your other post. You may well be right, but I was unable to see anything else loose, and believe me, I was searching for all I could to find the Quick-Fix-Plug in. I wanted to get it running as much as the next guy. I also thought it could be bad gas. But I did drain the fuel filter, fill with fresh gas, turned it over quite a bit on the muffs, and it hit a time or two, but would NOT RUN! So, My Mechanic friend is up to his eyeballs in work, so, I guess it is a wait to the diagnostic check.<br /><br />Thanks again Guys,