Running my Stingray in saltwater

I will be taking my '91 Stingray on vacation this year and using it in saltwater for the first time. I have a 3.0 mercruiser I/O and my question is what precautions do I need to take to run it in saltwater. It has always been a freshwater boat. Will a good freshwater flush be enough or is there more to it! Thanks:confused:

Red Snappa

Cadet
Re: Running my Stingray in saltwater

I will be taking my '91 Stingray on vacation this year and using it in saltwater for the first time. I have a 3.0 mercruiser I/O and my question is what precautions do I need to take to run it in saltwater. It has always been a freshwater boat. Will a good freshwater flush be enough or is there more to it! Thanks:confused:

A good wash of the entire boat and flush of the motor is all that is needed after you're done.

rchow

Cadet

Might i also add that if not using an aluminum trailer that you give it a good washing. I used mine a few yers ago in saltwater thinking more about cleaning the boat than the trailer and am starting to see the results. Just an idea!

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I boat with an I/O in salt water 99% of the time. Just wash the boat and flush it for ~10 minutes. Trailer is bigger issue if it painted steel. Might I suggest rinsing as well as you can right away and even stopping at a fresh water spot and dunking it on return to home. That puts water everywhere the salt water went and places a hose cant get too.

Thanks for the info everyone. Last question, when we talk about a good flush, does that mean put the muffs on the motor and run it or is there another way I am supposed to flush it! Don't want to take it for granted that I know what I am doing ... that could get me in trouble:D