Run to Bimini

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: Run to Bimini

JB Read an article in Coastal Living mag yesterday about a guy who went from Key West to New England on a Jet Ski. He's going to do the Bimini Run later this year on a Jet Ski. He's 70 years old. Maybe it's time to rethink taking the Whaler over! ;)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

On a JetFlea? Sounds like he is very brave and very foolish.

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i lived in wpb. fla. 10+ years always went out in the ocean really far, but never went to ant bahamas on small boat..but fact the summer the seas are the calmest, my buddy has a 28ft boat and they always travel with at least a few boats, my best frinds sister who lost her boyfriend do to a sudden illness , they went there themselves about 15 times a year..also lots in wpb area go to west end whick is freeport...my buddy went by himself to nassau in a 19 ft silverline from ft. laud...i got another buddy who won the bahamas 500 miami to nassas years ago ..just be safe and buddy up...heck my river up hear in philly has more current then the ocean off the east coast of fla..i just got back from p.b area..i hate the jersey compared to south fla..but a bad day boating is better then a good day working

cJAY

Cadet

Hello, first time poster to this site. I am very interested in making a passage to bimini. I live in Jacksonville, and would be planning on towing my boat down to the Ft. Laud area. Anyone have any insight on where to Launch from, and be able to keep my Truck/trailer safe for a few days? <br /><br />Also, I went to the NOAA sites. They seemed rather helpful, but the FWYF1 is very close to shore, I will I know the conditions in the stream?<br /><br />I guess I would stay at the big game club, how do reservations work as far as canceling because of weather, or staying an additional day(s)?<br /><br />I have always heard of Floatillias Making the passage, how can I find out about one of these? <br /><br />When one makes it to the shore of Bimini, what is the best beer to celebrate the passage?<br /><br />Any small islands that one could camp on for a night or two?

Always Broke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey ya all,<br /><br /> The Bimini trip is a dream of mine I hope to make come true by next summer, I have a lot of links I could post but got in trouble for posting links before, there’s still a black van sitting outside my house every now and then :eek: If you want some of em write me at daveg16101@aol.com and I'll be happy to send all my info and links to you.

phatmanmike

Captain

what about a 1984 20' mako center console and a 1994 200hp mercury. top speed 54 ( on a flat , calm, peacefull day)<br /><br />holds 60gallons fuel and 20 gallons water. have gps/fish finder/ vhf.<br /><br />am i dreaming or could i do it?

phatmanmike

Captain

well i did some searching, and most of my answers are" yes, you sure could"<br /><br />i found these links, they may be of some good reads....<br /> http://www.boatfix.com/ Just look in the "BoatersEd Bahamas" section in the forums.<br /><br />free nautical charts here http://nauticalcharts.gov/viewer/ <br /><br /> http://www.vantagepointguides.com <br /><br /> http://www.bahamas.com/bahamas/experience/experience.aspx?experience=boat information your going to need about port fees, customs, passports, boating flings going from Florida, etc... <br /><br /> http://www.seacrestbimini.com./ <br /> <br /> http://www.pelicanpower.com/AbacoGuide/gulfstreamcrossing.htm <br /><br /><br /> http://www.biminicruisingguide.com/smallboattobimini.htm

studlymandingo

Commander

I just ordered the Bimini Cruising Guide. I really want to make the trip this summer!

jbezanson

Cadet

This looks like a really cool trip. Is anyone here planning on making doing this run this summer?

studlymandingo

Commander

Hey Itchy, I am thinking August. July and August are supposed to be the calmest months in the 'stream. I'm working on getting a group of boats together to make the crossing. Mike are you up for it? Anyone else interested? I just got the Vantage Point Guide today and it really has me stoked!!!

phatmanmike

Captain

id love to ! im just not looking forward to the drive to west palm though. grrrrrrrrr

studlymandingo

Commander

Yea, that drive is a PITA, I did a job in Ft. Lauderdale last year that required me to drive there twice a week for 2 months. However, after reading the Cruising Guide, I feel I have no choice!!! Bimini just looks way too cool!!! Seems like the best plan is to drive to the other coast the day before, get up really early, head out and be in Bimini in time for lunch! In the summer, early morning, the Gulf Stream can be as flat as a lake, and can take just 1 1/2 to 2 hours to shoot over!

studlymandingo

Commander

The icy Kaliks are waiting on the other side of the 'stream. There are a couple of other boats going with us so far. We are making the run in August, who is up to make a long weekend trip?

studlymandingo

Commander
Going in August '07

Going in August '07

We have 3 boats committed to making the trip this August, looking like a Thurs/Fri through Monday trip. Anyone here interested in joining the flotilla??​

ericspin

Cadet

I could get talked into this pretty easy. We (me, wife and two friends) made this trip about 10 years ago in a 24' Century cruiser (the wettest, roughest riding boat I ever owned). Left from Miami. We had a frickin' blast! Spent a couple of days there and then went North to West End and stayed for a day before crossing back to WPB. We talk about that trip to this day. I( am going to stay tuned in to this thread. My boat is only 21' but in the right conditions I would make this trip no problem. Studly, I see you are from St Pete, I live in Tampa and keep my boat at the Tierra Verde High and Dry. I'll be listening.

Eric

studlymandingo

Commander

Cool Eric,

Keep August in mind; that is when we are looking at going, supposedly July and August are the best months for the Gulf Stream. I have a smaller center console, but I am pretty far offshore in the Gulf frequently and am used to some big water being 30 or so miles offshore with the afternoon winds kicking up. My boat is set up pretty well so it handles a little "bigger". I have 2 other boats so far besides mine going, a 24'er and a 23'er, the more the merrier!​

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Hey Studly I haven't been lookin in here lately. We have a trip planned for August 17 thru Sept 2. We'll be hauling on the 17th and crossing on the 18th. We plan on going to Bimini for a couple of days then up to Freepot and around the Grand Bahama Ishands. We're still a little flexable on the dates but these are the best for us as of right now.

Drop me an e-mail; reelpoor at gmail dot com

Any body else interested in those dates feel free to come along, the more the merrier. :)