Rude 150 hp spark plugs?

Seaman
Hello, looking for the right plugs to install in my 1986 150 hp E150TLCDC. It has NGK BZ7HS-10 in it now, but when I look it up by application, it gives a Champion and an NGK number that does not have an electrode ground...just flat tip. I'm ok with that, but should I go with the Champions or the NGK, and then there is two part numbers for each brand. Just confused on which to use. Original plugs did have a gap spec, so was expecting regular style plugs. What to do?
Thanks for any help!
Jeff

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rude 150 hp spark plugs?

The surface gap plugs (no electrode) really have no heat range regardless of their numbered designation and are prone to fouling.

Use the OMC highly recommended Champion QL77JC4 spark plug and set the gap to either the original .040 setting or the later late 1990's recommended gap setting of .030. One or the other may provide improved performance at either idle or full throttle (varies from engine tot engine). The .030 gap does of course provide a longer plug life.

Seaman

Do you think the Champion plugs would be better than the NGK BZHS-10? That is what was in it, and what Iboats parts look up has. (looked that up today) I know that Champion is original supplier. Can the NGK's cause some problems?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you think the Champion plugs would be better than the NGK BZHS-10? That is what was in it, and what Iboats parts look up has. (looked that up today) I know that Champion is original supplier. Can the NGK's cause some problems?

Absolutely. The engine was designed to use Champion plugs. Substitutes may or may not cause trouble. DO NOT TRUST any spark plug application chart. They tell more lies than a con artist. Trust the guys who made the outboard.

Seaman

Great advice! In the automotive world that I am a part of, we always use the OE correct parts...I wanted to stay with Champions, but since it had NGK in it, and sometimes people hit on something that just works better than OE, I figured that was the way to go. I appreciate the help!