RPM Follow-up

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I changed the tach and the new tach indicates 5100 rpm WOT (same as old tach). I go 41 GPS with a 13.5" x 18 Raker prop. The owners manual indicates 4500-5500 WOT. Do I need to change to a different prop to increase my RPM's or just stay with what I have?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: RPM Follow-up

Before you change props tell us about your set-up. Like engine - boat and where the cavitation plate is relative to the bottom of the hull.

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

88hp Rude on a Champion 15'6" bass boat. Engine is mounted in the third hole which puts the cavitation plate 1.5" above the bottom of the hull.

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by SoLittle:<br /> Before you change props tell us about your set-up. Like engine - boat and where the cavitation plate is relative to the bottom of the hull.
88hp Rude on a Champion 15'6" bass boat. Engine is mounted in the third hole which puts the cavitation plate 1.5" above the bottom of the hull.

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by SoLittle:<br /> Before you change props tell us about your set-up. Like engine - boat and where the cavitation plate is relative to the bottom of the hull.
SoLittle, where are you?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

RPM is too low ... prop for ~ 5800. Looks like about a 15" pitch should get that.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A Raker should run pretty darn high on a Champion. You might try it up the last hole but I am beginning to see a jackplate in your future.<br /><br />What brand is the tach(s)?

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> A Raker should run pretty darn high on a Champion. You might try it up the last hole but I am beginning to see a jackplate in your future.<br /><br />What brand is the tach(s)?
Tach was a 15 year old Teleflex and I changed to a new OMC/BRP.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Good info. <br /><br />Can you use all of the trim range?

patenglish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Dhadley:<br /> Good info. <br /><br />Can you use all of the trim range?
Yes....I can use it all....The old Teleflex was registering approximately 200 RPMs low.