rpm drops by itself

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer
i just seen a post distcribing almost the same problems as i am having but dont want to hijack his thread plus he had changed out his heads i have not. i finaly got my esa problem corrected and another problem occured today i think i know what it is but going to double check with some of you smarter people.

engine: omc 5.8l, 351 ford.
outdrive: cobra.
hull: four winns sundowner 225.
year: 1991[as far as i know].
hours: 430 give or take about 5.

recently done:
fuel/water separater/ last fall
plugs/wires/ this year
dist cap,rotor/ this year
accelerator pump/ last week
impellor/ last week

problem:
WOT at about 4000-4200 rpm after about 1 mile maybe 2, the rpm will drop itself from 4000-4200 to like 3700 or so then precede to back fire several times. i then drop thottle to neutral[scared of blowing up because of a backfire]. let idle for 5-10 seconds and i took off again. this time once it started to back off i dropped the thottle to 3k and there was no backfire i then put it to 3500 rpm to get back to the docks.

that was my situation,
first thought i had was the temp gauge was nearing 175 tittering a little over, i dont know if theres a mechanical dumb *** safty switch? or if that is normal temp.

second my timing was off? but it was just in the shop a month ago and the mechanic had set it then, havn't had it out since in the shop. this is my true guess.

or third the thing i really cant offord to hear, the motor is shot /bad compression, or heads if this is my problem/boat for sale please call 1-800-555-5555

also its got a 55 gallon fuel tank and i put $150.00 of mid-grade gas into it 36.6 gallons. it had a full tank of gas before winter that was winterized so i know the gas that was in the tank was still good.

if it is timing i've never had to set or check this on a vehical is it quite simple? i've done it to small engines 8-10 hp snow blowers with points it has been awhile.