Chief Petty Officer
engine, 5.8l 351 ford
hull, four winns sundowner 225
outdrive, cobra
gas, mid-grade
prop, 15x15, 15x17
max rpm 4k-4,400

my problem,
at wot or 4k+ rpm i can only do about 200 yards and then the rpm drops slowly about 500, then starts to backfire. i then have to return thottle to idle and wait a second then take off again. only happens at 4k+ rpm,.

i put 15 miles on today doing 3800-3900rpm never had an issue temp was running at 175. heading back to the docks i put thottle down 4,300 rpm and then it happend again. the temp was about 180 when i put the thottle back to idle.

did a recent tune up plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor, set timing, reset ESA was stalling on me, lower unit oil, impellor.

i read a post a while back with an rpm limiter or something on a 454 king cobra i think, obviously not the same engine or outdrive. i just dont know where to start looking. other wise is there an idiot switch for the temp incase its because it shoots up to 180?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: rpm back down then backfire

Ayuh,... Check, 'n change the fuel filters...

Next stop would be a carb rebuild...

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer
Re: rpm back down then backfire

forgot to post that i changed fuel filter las fall and i know the vent is clean i have gas coming out of it when i top it off, guess it doesnt hurt to spend a few more dollars and replace it again. also just added a new accelerator pump so the inline fuel filter is free of debre as well. had this problem before and after the accelerator pump.