rough running chrysler

am

Cadet
Last time I took my boat out it was running rough and only going about 20 mph at full throttle, It was shaking the whole boat. It seemed to me there was something clogged up somewhere so I checked the fuel filter and everything looked fine. The gas tank was also fully vented and it was getting fuel.

After about 15 minute's of running time it started running fine at about 40 mph. Any idea What could be causing this? I plan on cleaning the carbarator, and changing the plugs, but is there anything else I should do to assure this does not happen next trip?

The engine is a 1983 75 hp Chrysler.

Thanks!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: rough running chrysler

Pull the sparkplugs. If one has significantly dissimilar deposits compared to the other two, that could lead to the problem cylinder. (I believe you have three carbs) Heck, it might have just been a chunk of carbon temporarily shorting the center electrode of one of the sparkplugs. When is the last time they were changed?

am

Cadet

Thanks for the help! All the plugs looked the same, but it has been awhile since they have been changed, so ill change them just in case. Hopefully that will keep the problem from returning.

am

Cadet

One more question. Where would I be able to find a carb rebuild kit for this motor?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Go to Chrysler Crew and look up Franz Marine. He has parts for almost any Chrysler you could name.

Those carbs are so simple that unless you lose parts or destroy a float, the only replaceable parts are the bowl gasket (cork) and possibly the inlet needle and seat.

am

Cadet

Thanks! Assuming all the parts look fine, would it be just as good to only clean them?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You can probably get kits right here.
As long as your going through the pain of a rebuild you might as well replace the needle and seat and new gaskets etc. Be sure to check all passages and jets.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Iboats sells them as well as NAPA. Carb kit with seat and needle is 18-7037. May well do the fuel pump as well for 9 bucks. That number is 18-7806

am

Cadet

Thanks, I'll go ahead and order everything from here then.