Roller conversion ?

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a conversion that can handle at least 5k pounds. The ones I see in the catalogs says 3K max. I hav bunks and wanted to convert to rollers without buying a new trailer. Thank you

reelfishin

Captain
Re: Roller conversion ?

Some of it will depend on the type of cross members and style of trailer.

Your best bet would be to search craigslist for a set of used rollers and rocker arms then retro fit them to your trailer.

I've done a few that way, the easiest are trailers with box tube cross members since attaching the roller assembly can be done with common U bolts.

You can try roller bunks, but I've never been real fond of them on V hull boats. I've seen a few trailers done full length with them and they work ok, but not great. Most have only 1/2" shafts for each roller and they tend to bind when loaded on an angle. This type of bunk's capacity seems most affected by their length. If you can't get the required rating with a single pair, then your answer may be to use two pair, either inline or as a second set of bunks at the rear. At that point, the cost may however be closer to that of a good used trailer or a good used set of full roller assemblies.

See: http://www.iboats.com/Boat_Trailer_...3559866--**********.283705141--view_id.217570

mthieme

Captain

Roller bunks aren't HD enough.
It is going to cheaper in the long run to just find another trailer (used).
My neighbor likes to rebuild stuff....he redid the brakes, tires and roller assemblies, etc. on a 19' trailer a couple years ago and spent more than a new trailer.
But, then he bought a brand new Yammie 150 instead of doing a $500 repair on his Merc too.
Must be nice.

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The trailer I have now I already installed all new LED lights, new two speed winch, new hub bearings and races, and new brake actuator hitch assy. maybe I'll just keep it until I find a good used roller one.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why not use glide-ons on the bunks? Cheaper and much easier fix than rollers, work about as well for launching and loading, and you still have the full support of your standard bunks. You can find them at most boating stores.