Rochester Compatibility Question

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1994 Merc 350 Magnum with original Quadrajet. Will a Quad from a 2003 work on my intake?

Mine needs a rebuild but I found one that was JUST rebuilt - it would be good to have a spare on the shelf.

Thanks

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can't imagine why it wouldn't, unless it's got some electronics on it or something. I think the modern ones are pretty much all the same.

alldodge

Staff member
+1 .. So long as they are both jetted the same. Do you have the carb manufacture numbers of the side

tfret

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes that's true. When I bought my 87 model boat, with 5.7L engine, it ran really rich all the time and burned gas like crazy. I started looking at rebuilding the carb. When I looked up the serial number I discovered the carb came original on a 454 big block, so it was jetted way too big for the 350. Not being confident that I could rebuild and rejet the carb, I sold it on ebay and bought a new (rebuilt) carb that was properly sized for the 350. Ran much better and got much better fuel economy after that. So look up the serial number and see if it came on the same size engine or not.

NHGuy

Captain
Sure, then you can get the original one redone and have it ready. I'd redo it and get it into a plastic bag on the shelf.
Or if the 03 isn't absolutely perfect for your motor, rebuild the OE and put it back on when you are done.
That way you aren't boat-less during the redo.

Bondo

Staff member
I have a 1994 Merc 350 Magnum with original Quadrajet. Will a Quad from a 2003 work on my intake?

Mine needs a rebuild but I found one that was JUST rebuilt - it would be good to have a spare on the shelf.

Thanks

Ayuh,.... Yer '94 Qudra-jet must be one of the last Rochester's, the Weber was bein' used 'bout by that time,....

An '03 IS a Weber, not a Rochester,....

ewpvic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well then it must be an older carb, Bondo. Because it is clearly a Rochester. Guess the guy didn't realize when they stopped making the Qjet. Hey, for $50 with a fresh rebuild I can't go wrong with a spare!