Risk of running a cracked manifold

Chudwick

Cadet
hey guys, well after finally getting everything in order I found a crack in my port side manifold today. The crack looks to be about 2-3” long and is weeping drops every couple seconds. It must be freeze damage beacause there was a crack in the block on the same side of the engine from freezing over the winter. I just don’t see how it was missed until today given all of the hours spent working on the engine this year. Possible that it was on the brink of cracking from the freeze and finally gave up today ? For anybody that reads these forums I’ve been on here quite a bit lately with several major problems that have been resolved. Long story short, I want to take the boat out and test out all of the repairs that were made before I drop some big loot on new manifolds and risers. My luck I’ll spend all that money and the damn thing won’t run because of something else. Assuming it was the freeze that caused the crack, is it safe to say the interior of the water jacket is ok for a day ? I know on the block the water jacket was only 1/4” on the outside of the engine. Does anybody know how thick the walls are on either side of a manifold ? If they are the same thickness I’d say it’s likely that the inside was compromised too. I saw some tricks how to pressure test them but replacing the gaskets on reassembly is over $100. It’s a merc 305 with dry joint manifolds on it. The boat sat in saltwater for 2 years and was trailered to fresh water for the beginning of its days. The manifolds are original and from 2006. Boat was hardly used (under 100 hours)in nothing but fresh water until I got it in 2016. Now it has around 250 hours total with 150 in saltwater. Worth the risk for a day of testing ?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
..., is it safe to say the interior of the water jacket is ok for a day ?

Absolutely not.

I know on the block the water jacket was only 1/4” on the outside of the engine. Does anybody know how thick the walls are on either side of a manifold ?

A lot less than 1/4"

... Worth the risk for a day of testing ?

That's your call, but for reference. A few months ago I completed the rebuild on a 350MPI that got filled with seawater due to (wait for it.....) a cracked starboard exhaust manifold. That repair cost the owner over $8,000. The new manifold was only $600 of that....

Chris........

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Get new manifolds the elbows may be ok but if it were me I’d junk them

these parts won’t be wasted if you end up needing to replace the long block if you get water in the oil.

I think what what you are seeing is that takes a few hot and cold cycles to open the cracks. Hopefully the block is ok internally

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
what state are u in?? I see mercruiser used manifolds for sale all the time and cheap.I just saw a pair of oems 1yr old for $75 ,Heck I have a few that i gave away for a 2nd life.I may still have one.

Chudwick

Cadet
I bought a new one to replace what was cracked. I got the gaskets too. I think you’re correct in that it took a couple cycles for the new crack to expose itself. I’ll have to keep a very close eye on it this season. I think a complete repower will wind up happening. Ughhh.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I guess it IS that time of year when boats start showing up on craigslist "clean boat, needs motor"...

Yea, I've been there, first boat I bought was one of those... Nothing you can do but to replace bad parts, trying to skirt the issue will cost you way more