Rinker 7.4 b3 performance expectations

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Going to look at a boat tomorrow and wondered what kind of performance should be normal for a 1997 rinker 232 with a carbed 7.4 and b3 outdrive? I have the new boat checklist I will go over as well. Just looking for input from people with experience.

alldodge

Staff member
Had a 95 Rinker 232 with 7.4 and B1, great boat. Have pulled 6 skiers at one time without much issue. Top speed right at 60 mph

Only bad is wiring connections were not the best. Crimp connections and over time in fresh water had to redo some of them

tpenfield

Staff member
Going to look at a boat tomorrow and wondered what kind of performance should be normal for a 1997 Rinker 232 with a carbed 7.4 and b3 outdrive? I have the new boat checklist I will go over as well. Just looking for input from people with experience.
The checklist will be a good thing . . . Just remember that you are looking at a 26 year old boat, so performance may be the least of your worries. 1997 should be the gen 6 version of the 7.4, which is the most desirable version IMO.

The Bravo 3 may not be quite as fast as the Bravo 1, because of the dual propellers. Also check the outdrive over really well as the early Bravo 3 drives have a lot of stainless steel and not quite enough anode protection. There is a prop anode that can be added to provide a bit more sacrificial metal right near the stainless steel props.

If you can get any repair history on the boat/engine/outdrive, that is always good to know. Make sure the owner/seller has proper title (ie proof of ownership) to the boat.

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had a 95 Rinker 232 with 7.4 and B1, great boat. Have pulled 6 skiers at one time without much issue. Top speed right at 60 mph

Only bad is wiring connections were not the best. Crimp connections and over time in fresh water had to redo some of them
I ask because I have heard numbers from 45 to 60 mph. Torque to pull that many skiers would be fantastic. I don't have that many skiers, but still nice to have it available.

timharper89

Petty Officer 1st Class
The checklist will be a good thing . . . Just remember that you are looking at a 26 year old boat, so performance may be the least of your worries. 1997 should be the gen 6 version of the 7.4, which is the most desirable version IMO.
I have a 36 year old boat, so old boat probs aren't terrible new to me, but I do understand that. I'll be checking for soft spots and what not. Anything I particular you'd pay closer attention to the to the age? Good to know it's a good motor. I've heard great things about the 7.4 reliability and lifespan, especially in fresh water. Upgrading from a 19 foot Cuddy with a dying 4.3. I'm ready for the extra oomph but won't be too throttle hungry. Any idea the wot specification on this motor?

The Bravo 3 may not be quite as fast as the Bravo 1, because of the dual propellers. Also check the outdrive over really well as the early Bravo 3 drives have a lot of stainless steel and not quite enough anode protection. There is a prop anode that can be added to provide a bit more sacrificial metal right near the stainless steel props.
How much speed loss should I expect? Owner days it tops 48mph gps, but I don't know if he is trimming properly or not. Would that make a significant difference?
If you can get any repair history on the boat/engine/outdrive, that is always good to know. Make sure the owner/seller has proper title (ie proof of ownership) to the boat.
Owner says he has a clean title. Apparent they don't title trailers in Wisconsin, but I'll get a bill of sale for it. Not a lot of history available unfortunately.

tpenfield

Staff member
48 mph seems OK, but a bit on the low end.

I had a 24 foot boat (4800 lbs) that did 48 mph with a 7.4/ Bravo 1 combo.

IIRC, the WOT RPM range is 4400-4600 The 454 MAG versions were in the 4800-5000 RPM range.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I bave a 2004 Rinker 232 with a mag 350 and B3. With a full 75 gallons if fuel, me, and my son I got about 54 MPH out of it.