Rich gas misture

DWNewt

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1977 Johnson 70hp engine. I ran it a couple of twice this month, but it has been sitting up for a while. I removed the spark plugs and found all three black and oily. After reading the post and following the suggestions, I bought the kits and pulled the carbs. I replaced the floats and gaskets in all three carbs. On the top was a brass screw with a jet behind it which was also on all three carbs. I stripped the brass nut trying to remove it for cleaning and had to tap it out. Neither Posts or internet searches showed this part on the carb of my engine. I pulled one carb and took it to the local J/E Dealer and learned that it was a 1981 carb on my 1977 engine. I also striped the lower orifice behind the drain plug trying to remove it. I ordered a new one from the dealer. My problem is that prior to removing the carbs, I took it out, it ran pretty good but I felt that it had more power than I was getting, plus gas was leaking around one of the caps on carb #2. The dealer said these type of carbs are not adjustable. If this is true, how is the adjustment made to prevent the carb from running too rich?<br /><br />Thanks

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Rich gas misture

They have fixed jets. You have to replace them with larger or smaller ones depending on if you want it richer or leaner. Some jets (external) are called air bleeds and those you have to replace in reverse logic. Now come the big questions. What are those carbs really from, and is it all 3?<br /><br />I'm betting the previoius owner was cheating on horsepower and those are from a 75. That's one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to playing with horsepower like that. He might know exactly what was done and while he owned it, no biggie. Now that you have it, welcome to the Land of Confusion.

DWNewt

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Rich gas misture

Yep, checked all three. One of the three jets matched the book specs for a 1981. So I need to purchase a smaller jet in order to get the engine to run more lean. Unfamiliar with reverse logic application. please explain.