Rewiring.......hopefully

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I came into a 1976 Cruisers Bonanza (21') that was in pretty good shape and matches my needs for Lake MI fishing. Like the boat, only issue is that the wiring behind the dash is a GIANT MESS! Gotta love that. I'm pretty good with wiring projects, but this one has me stumped at which wires correspond to which accessories such as bilge pumps, blower, lighting, etc, etc. Is there any kind of color code that is available for this model? If not, have you any suggestions how I might sort thru this mess without doing a complete re-wire?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!,
Champ

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rewiring.......hopefully

If you have a multi tester (volt/ohm meter) follow the wire from the switch. Yes there is a color code but that alone is not a positive indicator of its function. Just because the wiring looks in disarray does not mean it is not functional. Study the situation carefully and if it really bothers you, even though everything works you can shorten, lengthen, or re-dress each wire one at a time to make things neater. Identify the wires with tags if you like.

ChampionShip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Rewiring.......hopefully

I've started digging thru it some more to get my basic functions, bilge pump, nav lights, etc working first but would still benefit from continued advice on this. I'm fairly close to scrapping most of the wiring and starting from scratch......

Thanks!