Reviving dead topics

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Is there any other way to close or lock out a dead topic unless it's the op cuz apparently recruits don't read the forum rules and guidelines anymore and it's really annoying

littlerayray

Lieutenant
That's just too bad the only reason I started this topic was so that people could read it and realize their not following the rules it's gotten bad lately when I first joined it was once a month and now it's daily

WIMUSKY

Staff member
And worse is when members read the rules and still don't abide by them. Those members will be dealt with........ We have rules for a reason. It's to maintain some sort of forum order/structure. W/O rules it would be total chaos. We're not asking every member to like each rule we have, we just want members to abide by them.....

Closing/deleting Topics is the last resort......

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I just noticed that I posted

NO

there wasn't any emphasis intended, it's a typo, supposed to be a regular ole

No, there isn't....

Thanks

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Also, if a member see's an infraction such as opening old threads, flag it so the Mods can address the issue.... We are not able to catch everything. Help from members would be greatly appreciated....

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I know I'm just frustrated cuz Mt is so frustrated and I like his wisdom and wit

And I figured it was a mistake curt no problem

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Didn't there used to be a red marker that popped up when you posted to an old thread on the old website and then you could delete your post ?
Everyone must remember that we all were newbie's at one time and make the same mistakes , just can't be forgiving at our age because we are older and tend to forget our youthful mistakes . I can see where its good till I read an old magazine and think its new only to realize it when I remembered a article relevant to what I like .Some people live by the rules and others think that they don't apply to them ! To the builders of this web page ,I haven't noticed the like feature showing up on post .

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The red banner, as we called it, was over or under the message box for any posts dormant for 90 or more days. With the newish forum software, we haven't figured out how to bring it back.

EDIT - Meant to add that many Mods now have signature links for Forum Help or Forum Rules to make it easier to find for new members.

Like is there, Jimbo;
Like.PNG

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
We've been trying to get the 90 day red banner back. Not sure it's possible with the new version of VB....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Folks/moderators, I too understand that newbies are the culprits so many times. In fact I think I did the same when new. But we also don't want to run new boaters from the site. They are here because they found this site interesting and the actual date is so easy to over look at times when they think they have something to offer on the subject. So we need to handle this with a "shouldn't do" attitude but not run off the offenders. They bring interesting things to these forums as well... JMHO!

toneeees

Administrator
Folks/moderators, I too understand that newbies are the culprits so many times. In fact I think I did the same when new. But we also don't want to run new boaters from the site. They are here because they found this site interesting and the actual date is so easy to over look at times when they think they have something to offer on the subject. So we need to handle this with a "shouldn't do" attitude but not run off the offenders. They bring interesting things to these forums as well... JMHO!

Thank you. That is a great way to handle it.

When things start slowing down, I will look at bringing the red banner back. Maybe even just removing the reply ability from posts older than a certain time period.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just stopped in to answer a couple of private messages I have received, in between getting things ready to go camping. One suggestion I have, is do what I do, I altered the message a new user gets when he/she registers that has a short list of rules to participate in the forums, it is not difficult to alter the registration message to let the new user know what the rules are and what is expected. It would be easy to mention the main rules for the forum in this message and to let them know by clicking the link to activate your message you are agreeing to the rules as stated.

That said, I was not trying to make trouble, when I posted that message, it was not in a disrespectful manner, it was a simple, you are not suppose to post to messages older than 90 days, but unfortunately, I must have been brusk in the way I posted it, we have all screwed up in the past, it is just sometimes, certain people take it the wrong way. I am the bigger man and have had many people not happy with my manners in the past, it comes with the territory, after it happened last night, I just figured it would be a good time to take some time off and go enjoy being retired, which I don't do often enough. That said, if a solution could be come up with, I believe it would be a benefit to this system as it has with my systems and I have several, depending on your interests in life, some of you may have participated in them.

Anyway, have a great time, I know I am going to!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I was not trying to scare people away with this topic just trying to make people aware of something that has been happening I'm sure I've been a culprit of this I'm just trying to clear the air and make everyone aware I apologize in advance if I offended anyone

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Thank you. That is a great way to handle it.

When things start slowing down, I will look at bringing the red banner back. Maybe even just removing the reply ability from posts older than a certain time period.

We use to use a free program Aracnophila or something to decipher or copy things from web index pages to use at work might help .

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That said, I was not trying to make trouble, when I posted that message, it was not in a disrespectful manner, it was a simple, you are not suppose to post to messages older than 90 days!
I saw what you wrote. Not really much different than what I have written in the past.

64osby

Admiral
Maybe all threads over 90 day old could be locked or closed. If the OP wanted to revive it they could request it.

Pretty sure my LS thread has past the time limit and one day it will be updated, but until then having it closed is not an issue to me.

I visit a Jeep site where they have some threads that are free for all's An ask a question type thread, they go all over the place and trying to find an answer to a question is difficult if not impossible. Truly like they rhyme and reasons that iboats tries to maintain.