reverse slippage

tmiller4090

Seaman Apprentice
ok, heres the situation,I have a 1988 85hp force that ran perfectly,I changed the gear lube and misstook the shift pivot screw for the drain.heres what I did to fix it.1- bought a manual- then i dissambled the gear housing down to the pinion gear,took the propeller shaft out ,then i dropped the entire lower unit from the motor and removed the upper and lower water pump housing from here i was able to retrive the shift cradle and reinstall it according to my manual.then I reassembled everything.I havent started the motor yet but I put it in forward and the prop locks one way and spins freely the other way.in neutral the prop spins freely both ways.in reverse it will lock one way but if much pressure is applied it breaks free and sound like the gears are slipping in the gearcase.I don't want to start the motor in fear that I may ruin the entire lower unit. all the gears looked good in the gearcase so i must have overlooked something. any suggestions?----Troy

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: reverse slippage

When you put the case back together, did you turn the shift rod at all?<br /><br />This would change the length of it and cause one gear to need farther travel.<br /><br />TMD

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When you had the LU apart , did you inspect the clutch dog? Sounds like it might be worn a little bit. It's better to have the reverse end of dog worn the the forward gear. It sounds like you're just going to have to test it in the water. That will be a good place to adjust shift linkage too.

tmiller4090

Seaman Apprentice

thanks, I did turn the shift rod,I tighted it so I could have more control of it while lining it up with the cradle.I'll try to adjust it tommorrow.---Troy