Reuse gas (that had some water in it)?

Ramanonos

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so i had an issue of some water in my tank, so i pumped it out of my tank and dumped it in a large plastic trash can. I noticed the water settled to the bottom. So if I scoop out the top part of the gas, I should be able to put it back in my boat? My boat is in the water at the marina with an empty tank. Id rather not new ethonal gas from a gas station in it. Was thinking of pouring 10gal in of the skimmed stuff. That should get me to the marina gas station (which has non ethenol). Oh, and even though I siphoned out all my gas from the boat, do you think there might be lots of water in it hanging around the corners (cuz water is heavier). Anyways, was going to pour in 5gals and let it run in idle and check the fuel/water filter a few times. What do think?

Re: Reuse gas (that had some water in it)?

That gas will be ok to use. I've had serious problems with water getting in my tank from the deck fill leaking when it rained. Took a while to figure it out. I could drain a gallon or two of straight water out of the tank by syphon until it got blury.... and then straight gas. Was good to go at that point.

Fixed the deck fill, no more water.

Gas today is such crap, looks like water even when its good. Nothing like gas from the PRE ethenol days.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

Does the fuel have ethanol in it?
If it does I would use it in the mower or car but not the boat.
I would just go to the marina with a couple jerry cans and bring them back to the boat and re-purpose the tainted fuel.

Ramanonos

Seaman Apprentice

Its non-ethenol gas from the marina. About 8 mos old. I had about 25gals of it. I used 10gals in my car. Burned through about 3/4 of it in my car. No problems. I skimmed all the gas in the trash barrel except for the last few inches. Ive been observing the gas as I scooped it out (with a galss measuring cup). It looks very clear. I have 15gals in large jerry cans that I think I'll try to poir back into my boat. I'll start with 5 gals, run it, check the fuel/water filter every 5 mins. Depending on the outcome, Ill pour the rest in. Let me know if anyone thinks This is dumb... Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Your idea will work fine. In addition, I would siphon the bottom of the trash can into a clear container. All the gas that is clear and above the water is fine to use. If it is hard to tell the difference, add a bit of two cycle oil to color the gas. It will not color water.