Reupholster boat seats

mrssmth

Cadet
Hi guys I'm looking into reupholstering my boat seats and was wondering what type of marine vinyl you would recommend?
Has anyone had any luck with the marine vinyl joann fabrics sells?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Lot's of places to get it. But...Not All Marine Vinyls are created Equal!!!! I have NO idea what the specs are for JoAnn's Vinyl products but before I bought it, I'd make sure and find out!!!:nod:

Here's the minimum specs I'd recommend you shop for...
  • Weight: 30 Ounces per Linear Yard
  • Cold Crack: -25?F
  • Ultra Violet Resistant to 1000 Hours
  • Bacterial Resistant per AATCC 147
  • Mildew Resistant per ASTM G21
  • Abrasion Resistance 100,000 Double Rubs Wyzenbeek Method

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
There are several. I like this one a lot. Really Good Prices and Good Service. You have to READ the Specs to make sure what you're getting but He does have the good stuff along with the Cheap stuff. He also sells ALL the other sewing supplies you'll need.

Here's a link to the Seabrook brand that he sells and I like. It's good stuff and shipping isn't too bad if you order multiple yards.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seabrook-Sea...item5ae20251eb

Not sure where you live but, check with your local auto dealers and see who does their upholstery work and then check with them to see where they get their supplies. There may be some place close that you could get the vinyl and save on shipping.

What kind of Machine do you have? Let me know if I can assist with anything. I been stitchin for a little while. Still learning but I've learned a lot and have a LOT of stored research sources so if you need anything just HOLLER!!!!;)

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I used marine vinyl from Joann Fabrics and it seems to be holding up pretty well. 5 years of use (fishing and water sports) and no tears, holes, or fading yet. It is almost always covered, but I leave it uncovered in a slip at Lake Mohave (120+ degrees) for a week a year.

mrssmth

Cadet
Thank you guys for all your help, I'll be sure to message back if I run into any problems once I start the project!
I was looking into the Morbern seabrook from sailrite.com since they have 10% off fabric right now, I know its not much but every bit helps! They also have the premade welt there which I definitely want!

viper15

Recruit
No Title

A friend I work with and I were both doing our boat upholstery at the same time. He had gotten a lot of samples from local shops and online. Many of the local shops had told him that the marine stuff from Joann's was very good. He and I have both used it. I did my upholstery over the winter.

Attachments

• photo244256.JPG
    photo244256.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 1

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
I used marine vinyl from Joanns to redo my jet ski seats last year and it still looks great!
And wow Viper15, those seats look great!

Last edited:

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Also, plan on taking a lot of time. It took me a very long time to just do a jet ski seat.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I've also used the vinyl from Jo-Ann fabrics. Only defect after 8 years is where my step-son caught a corner while loading a gas tank into the boat and tore a 1-inch gash. That was 2 weeks after I finished the redo! Grrrrr. Lived with it for 8 years, though, with no issues....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Only problem with Jo-Ann's marine vinyl is that it is more expensive than most high quality vinyls you can get at Rochford's and who knows if the exact colors will be carried down the road. Easier just to buy a known name from an online retailer.

MRS

Commander
Jo-Ann's vinyl is great get there app on your phone and when you buy in store can get as much as 40 to 50 percent off the total price. If you do not have phone sign up on line and you will get the same deals. Did my boat 3 years ago and still holding up great plus you buy at store no shipping charge.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you can find out what vinyl Garelick uses to cover the seats they build, BUY IT-- I bought a Garelick seat for our '03 Chaparral, and it turns out Garelick made the seats FOR the Chaparral. Whatever they use is like stainless steel disguised as marine vinyl...

We bought our Chap from the original owners in 2011, and just sold it in March to buy the Regal. After 13 years, 5 of them dealing with our grandkids, us and our dogs, the upholstery looked almost new:

chapint1.jpg

chapint2.jpg

chapint3.jpg

===========

Our Regal, which was as well taken care of as our Chap, has upholstery that isn't anywhere NEAR as durable as the Chap's. There's little wear marks, holes and abrasions in places which were totally non-existent in the Chap. Not sure who made the Regal's seating, but I know it wasn't Garelick...
:)

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Only problem with Jo-Ann's marine vinyl is that it is more expensive than most high quality vinyls you can get at Rochford's and who knows if the exact colors will be carried down the road. Easier just to buy a known name from an online retailer.

​I agree that there may be a color issue down the road. However, Jo Ann's has 40%+ off coupons very regularly so the price is pretty good. Check out the 3rd row of coupons on this link.

http://www.joann.com/coupon/

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Still not as good as online and you can't get hidem or welding to match.

I get my vinyl from a wholesaler so the prices I get are below Rochford supply even.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
No Title

I own an upholstery shop and have been doing it for 25 years. No one has mentioned....*Go to your local shop and pick their brain*! Buy the material from them and get a better price and better materials than JoAnns, along with a much better selection including grains, colors, carbon fiber/textured prints, etc. You'll also create a network that you can get the answers to problematic areas during the process. You'll also need foam (1/4" to 4", depending on damage), stainless steel staples, slip-eeze, welt cord, UV rated thread, etc. They have the industrial machines to sew the things you can't, and will usually do it very cheap. Have a pneumatic staple gun? I loan them out all the time.

Try your local guy first for materials & information before giving your cash to JoAnns.

Attachments

• photo244564.jpg
    photo244564.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244565.jpg
    photo244565.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244566.jpg
    photo244566.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244567.jpg
    photo244567.jpg