Restoring the LOST PERL 103'

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
DSC_0036.jpg

I'm at it again, In august 2010 I started my six boat restoration. Maybe this will be my last one. She is 1966 Gustafsson & Anderson 103' and her new name in "LOST PERL" It should take me 2-3 years to get done. She has a lot of history under her. Built in Sweden and has been all over the world. The last few owners were not able to care and restore a large yacht of this size and now it's up to me. I own a little of land on the Cumberland river three miles from downtown Nashville. (I hope the Corp lets me keep her there long enough to get her done)(mile 187) I have no power but my new 30 kw norpro generator. It is a 40' bank to climb every day. It's not like I am at the boat dock. So doing the normal things like taking trash and supplies on and off the boat are not the easiest. But this is the price I pay to have her. Sense I work on her almost every day I keep a daily log online about how things are going @ http://www.lostpearl.net/ I hope this will help you with your project, boat or not.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Restoring the LOST PERL

Re: Restoring the LOST PERL

Lets see a pic, sounds interesting.

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Restoring the LOST PEARL

Re: Restoring the LOST PEARL

You can find all photos @ http://www.lostpearl.net/ then go to working on the boat. let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Restoring the LOST PERL 103'

Some things are coming together now
All the rooms that were removed have been put back in but I bet I have better layout.

IMG_0033_1.jpg
IMG_0537.jpg

My teaks first coat is down at last. We have put in many hundred hours to get it to this point. It will be much easier to maintain now. I will put more varnish on in the spring, or some Tennessee warm days.

2142243_9.jpg
IMG_0528.jpg

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Restoring the LOST PEARL 103'

I didn't like my stairs before and by the time I got there they were rotted out and in a bad place. So I moved them and made them wider and look better I took one a half small state rooms to make a lower salon
before
MVC-443L.jpg
IMG_0014_1.jpg

MVC-438L.jpg

now
IMG_0574.jpg

Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Hello neighbor. Im just down the road in Cookeville. Great looking boat. Would love to hear some more history on her. Will be watching your thread closely. would love to do a project like this one day.

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know much on her history yet,
Came from Sweden, She was in the US in 1974 that I saw in a log book. If you want to do a boat then first call me. I might change your mind. This is a full time job, seven days a week. I have two to six guys there every day. $$$ there is know way I can do everything. But first you must have a place on the river, you can't put this in your back yard.
IMG_0784.jpg

Last edited:

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

I thought my 28' was big. Dang! What's her draft?

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

About six feet, but I had a diver to look at her hull this fall and he said he didn't think she was that deep. I will find our this summer when I get her full.

Last edited:

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I need to slide down Nashville way and hunt this one out. Hope all you progress is smooth.

bear_69cuda

Commander

Wow,

What an incredible project!

I'll be watching this... I just spent an hour looking at pictures from your web-page... I'm blown away...

Last Mohican

Chief Petty Officer

WOW! Now that's a project. Looks like you are doing great work.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Awesome project. Maybe someday I'll be where I can take on something like that.

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any time you want to come then just drop me a line I'll be waiting.

bankfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! what an undertaking!!! I have seen that boat in its prime, it is a shame to see that it was left to get to that condition. I have checked out your blog and I must say that you are making great progress. I hope that you can bring that yacht back to its former glory.

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep it's a big job someone has to do it. But I hope to have her better then ever.

andgott

Master Chief Petty Officer

Ambitious project there- Looks like you're coming right along, though. Looks like a lot of work- But She'll be beautiful when done...

See- Not EVERYONE in Tennessee just has a Bass Boat!

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DSC_0001.jpg

remember my start
DSC_0150.jpg

She is looking like something now
DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It has been some very hard work but I am seeing some light to the end of the of some things, I got the trunk almost done and the pilothouse is looking great. I will have to build up and round some of the flat spots but that can be later that is why I used gelcoat and not paint. Right now I get to move on the sides and then finish the back side of the pilot house with all the steering and and upper controls. This is the way I work. I get one thing to a useable point then move one to another project. I have always done it this way and will not change now. For the most part you have to do it this so you can run wires and make things work together. If you finish one thing to soon then you can't make them work together. I finally got to use my new cushions I had made last year, i had them made when I had the 62 footer and didn't then get them until I sold the other boat and got this one. They would fit both boats because they both had a large trunk and would fit eater boat. They are 9'X9'X3" plenty of room for the girls to lay out and get some sun. The hand rails are temp for now I had to have something for a party on May 30th. We had forty five to come, not bad for a first party. I will rebuild all the hand rails with 3" teak next year.

http://www.lostpearl.net/

IMG_0595.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg