Restoring a boat...

TheOtherOne

Cadet
This probably isn't worth my time or money, but I'm just curious... My grandfather just gave me his old boat, a 1968 Cobia 14'. I'm not sure exactly what type it is...it's not a ski boat, as someone told me. It's got an 80hp Mercury engine on it.<br /><br />Anyway, the boat looks quite good for it's age, but there are many cracks in the red and such. Nothing looks like it's all the way though the fiberglass, more just the paint/coloring. I'm just curious if it's possible to fill in these cracks and repaint the boat.<br /><br />I'll try to get some pics of the cracks later on...<br /><br />
Boat1.jpg

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Restoring a boat...

TheOtherOne - Welcome and come back often. Lots of info here. <br /><br />That is a neat little boat and should fly with the 85. We have a section on iboats called Project Boats that would be a better place to get ideas from. There is so much info here that a lot of folks tend to stick to their area of interest.<br /><br />A little TLC should do it. You can have fun with it as is however.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's called a runabout. These front decked sport boats were all the rage in the 1950's and 60's.<br /><br />Yours looks like a nice one. I would slowly fix it up and enjoy it if I were you.<br /><br />Whoa - just re-read your post -- 85 horsepower on a 14' boat? Are you sure of both measurements? That's powered way far above the norm, which would be 40 hp for a 14' runabout. The boat should have a metal plate stating the maximum engine size. Check it out.

TheOtherOne

Cadet

SoLittle - I'll be sure to check that out. The boat's in fair shape for it's age. I figured it shouldn't be too hard to get it looking really nice once again, but as you said, it'll be fun either way :) <br /><br />Lark40 - Yeah! That's it. One of my friends used to work at some marine place and I now remember him saying that...<br /><br />No, you misread, it's only 80 HP :D My grandfather bought the boat back in '68 and it had a 40HP on it. He said it barly moved, so he bought the 80HP 2 years later. I remember seeing that metal plat, but I never actually read it. I recall my grandfather saying it's rated for a 60HP... Oh well, the boat's held up just fine over the years :rolleyes: <br /><br />
Boat2.jpg
<br /><br />I'll get a closer pic of the engine sometime, but it is 80 for sure...<br /><br />*EDIT*<br />I ran out to double check some stuff. Sorry, no more pics, too dark... I found that plate and it says 50HP Max :p It didn't say the legth of the boat, so I quickly measured it and I'm quite sure it's 14'...

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I had a 1970 80 and ran it all over south Florida for 7 yrs. some 15 yrs ago. Great motor.

TheOtherOne

Cadet

That's apparently what this one is. The boat is a 68, but my grandfather got that motor 2 years after he initially bought the boat. He said the old 40HP just wouldn't cut it ;P I remember it being a great engine back when we last had it out...just a pain to crank sometimes...

f_inscreenname

Commander

Very lucky boy. Take care of it. It sure looks like your grandfather did. Being that he has had it as long as he has it is part of his legacy. I hope one day to pass on my boat (it will be 65 years old by then :eek: ) to my son or grandson that I am sure will keep it going in good repair. He must have faith in you that you will.

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

from the looks of the transom and pics it looks like it more in the 18' range, nice looking boat i would try to clean it up and use it with pride, i just got rid of a 60 model aristocraft 18' sure got a lot of looks at the lake. It's a keeper if you don't want it ill take it! have fun with that prize

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

You can gets tons of tips on how to fix it up and restore the finish by using the "search" icon in the project boats forum. Welcome and good luck! :cool:

TheOtherOne

Cadet

I'm 100% sure it's a 14'. That's what my grandfather told me, and I measured it myself.<br /><br />Well, I do have some work ahead of me. I was using some oil on the seats; they where dried out and quite nasty. I noticed the passanger set was a bit loose. I pressed on it a bit..*POP!* Luckly it just seems to be some wood that connected it and not something ripping out of the floor, so hopfully it'll be an easy fix.<br /><br />Maybe I can pick up the gas tanks and battery for it this weekend and try to crank it..

Link

Rear Admiral

Wow what a pretty boat! All cleaned up your going to spend 1/2 your time at the ramp just letting people eww and ahh over it.<br />Next stop is project boats to see what kind of advice your getting.<br /><br />Link

BillP

Captain

In those days Cobia was the model name and Southern Fiberglass in Orlando, FL was the manufacturer. I grew up on the water about 50 miles from their factory and we used to see lots of them around during the 1960s. As I remember they had 15' & 17'versions of that hull with various decks. I have a 17 with the cuddy cabin and motor rated at 90...which is a big axx motor for this hull. The hulls are thick and bullet proof. The 15' hull was still in production though the 80s as a bow rider.

TheOtherOne

Cadet

BillP - You are 100% correct. I spoke with my grandfather today, and he recalls it being a 15' :eek: <br /><br />Link - Thank you :) I'm very proud of this boat. I can't wait to get it to the lake<br /><br />Speaking of which, I got it running today. It was actually quite simple. It's been sitting for at least 5 years, but it cranked within about a minute of fooling with the primer, coldstart, and choke. I just had to rev it for a bit to get some junk cleared out, and it ran like a new engine.<br /><br />Some new problems that have come about since my last post... The front half of the floor is a bit mushy, so I guess I'll have to replace that bit eventually. Hopfully it'll last a few years, and I can get some new seats the same time as well. These old ones are ok, but are getting quite dried out. Also, the Tach did not work earlier. I happened to see a loose wire under the dash, so hopfully that is the only problem.<br /><br />Uh, I think that's all for now. It just needs registration, new tires, and I should be set to test it out :D

dkwalker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"party on, Wayne"<br /><br />What a nice looking boat! Enjoy. Give it the same care Grandpa did and you'll have it for years to come.

TheOtherOne

Cadet

Man this thing is fun! It's been so long since I'd been on it, I'd forgotten just how fun it was to drive it. Man, when you lay the throttle down, you're set back into the seats :D <br /><br />It seems the only problem are the tach and speedo. There are other minor problems, but other then those 2, it's wonderful :D

TheOtherOne

Cadet

Had it up to 38MPH. I'd say that's not bad considering it's age, plugs could use a change, and the engine's never been cleaned out or anything!<br /><br />Dad and I are going out pretty soon and he's going to bring his GPS so we can test the accuracy of that speedo ;)

timbo1963

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Did you change the Water Pump impellar? After 5 years of settin it could fail.

TheOtherOne

Cadet

Is that what causes the water to spit out the pee hole? Cause that works fine. We've run it for a few hours with no problems, so I don't think it's overheating.