restoring a 1979 wilker galaxie... before pics

scott11

Seaman
I am 20 years old and just recently bought my first boat. The boat needs work but I was looking for something like this so i could learn a bit more about it. So far id like to replace the floor and stringers, Do some fiberglass on the bottom of the boat and paint work. The front half of the floor is still really solid but i figure if im gonna replace half i may as well do it all. I was wondering how to remove and replace the floor and what all i will need? If the weather gets any better tomorrow I will take some pics so you guys can give me some tips on what to do.

ge15mw

Cadet
Re: restoring a 1979 wilker galaxie

Welcome to the forum!

If half of your deck is rotten the rest probably is too. If it is a fiberglass deck the glass may still be solid but the wood underneath is rotten.

As far as tearing it out, I used a sawzall and a grinder with a cut off wheel. My deck was fiberglass with rotten wood so if yours is make sure to wear the proper safety equiptment.(respirator, Tyvek suit, Goggles)

on mine i just used regular plywood(not treated, treated will warp and bow) and used a water sealer and then carpet on top. You can also glass over the top which is the right way but i did it alittle cheaper.

Good luck man! and post some pics so we can see what u got :)

scott11

Seaman

Yea i will be replacing the complete floor. I was out today and decided to start ripping it apart. After i got the layer of fiberglass torn off there was basically nothing left to the wood where the soft spot was. The stringers looked alright but i figure if im gonna do this much i may as well go all out and completely replace it. I got pics but for some reason i couldnt get them to upload. I got a few other things id like to do to the boat to make it look a lot better so if i figure out this picture problem maybe you guys could give me some advice on what i should do.

scott11

Seaman

There finally figured out how to do the pics.

Attachments

• boat1.JPG
    boat1.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 2
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 5
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 2
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 2
  • boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2

scott11

Seaman

Here are some more too. Those pics of the rotted floor are at the back of the boat

Attachments

• boat6.jpg
    boat6.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 4
  • boat7.jpg
    boat7.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3
  • boat8.jpg
    boat8.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 4
  • boat9.jpg
    boat9.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 4
  • boat10.jpg
    boat10.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 5

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Good looking boat, love the graphics:D We'll help you as we can

scott11

Seaman
Re: restoring a 1979 wilker galaxie... before pics

I started to tear out the floor panels tonight and cant believe they ever supported the weihgt of a person standing on it. The stringers are rotted so bad i stepped on one after i removed the plywood and fiberglass and fell right through it. I will have some more pics of the progress tomorrow after i get a bit more done.

Moody Blue

Captain

Scott good luck with the restore. These are great boats, built like a tank and able to handle heavy seas. They were built as a fishing boat for the great lakes. I have a 1971 Wilker Galaxie 15ft that I "renewed" last year. Boat was in storage since 1986 and was 100% solid and dry. I gutted the boat and put in new carpeting, seating, new dash and instruments, all new wiring, new upolstery, stereo system etc etc. Hope to paint it next spring. Not the prettiest boat but there is lots of floor space and it is very versatile and stable.

scott11

Seaman

Do you happen to have any pics of the work you did? I am thinking about redoing my dash in mine too since has is also rotted underneath.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's a nice looking boat, and will be awesome once you get it finished. Look forward to seeing the progression of your project. When cutting out the stringers be careful not to go through the hull. Pain in the rear to fix. lol Good luck on the project though.

scott11

Seaman

Yea im hoping to avoid that so ill just have to take my time. Im guessing it will probably be best to cut the fiberglass and plywood along the sides with a grinder? Im hopefully going to be cutting the majority of the plywood out tomorrow with a sawzall but im just kinda iffy about the stringers.

scott11

Seaman

I am planning on ordering my epoxy hopefully this coming week. Does anybody know apporoximately how much i will probably need to cover me new deck boards and stringers? I would hate to order too much of it especially when it costs so much and if also want to avoid not getting enough.

scott11

Seaman

Well I got most of the floor cut out today. All thats left to that is a couple small pieces in the back corners and along the sides which im going to finish cutting out with a grinder this weekend. While i was working on it I was thinking I may as well do the transom while im at it. I noticed that there were a few soft spots in it and im already putting a lot of time into this restore so it may as well all be done right. I think I will be using poly resin now since i will be doing a complete restore. Does anybody from southern ontario know where abouts i can buy the resin and fiberglass mat? If possible i dont want to have to order. I will get some more pictures and hopefully have them posted later tonight.

scott11

Seaman

Here are a couple more pictures of the floor since i cut most of the wood out. I worked on cutting out the stringers and access fiberglass on the sides today so one i get that all done i will taker some more pictures.

Attachments

• DSC00153.JPG
    DSC00153.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC00157.JPG
    DSC00157.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 7

jcsercsa

Captain

Hay scott11 Welcome Aboard !!!

I used the 6.5 gal kit from USComposities !! and had a gal left when I was done with my 15.6 glastron !! John

scott11

Seaman

Well I got everything cut out now and ready to be sanded. I will hopefully be able to rent the motor lift this weekend and get it out of my way so i can work on the transom. I was planning on just making a cradle type thing to rest the motor in up near the front of the boat until i get the transom out of the way. Has anybody made anthing like this before? I thought it would be easier since im not doing this inside a garage. I was thinking about making it out of 2x4's that the motor mount can bolt on to at the front and back. Here are a couple more pics of the slow progress being made.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 7

ge15mw

Cadet

looking good man! i just wish i could get mine finished but its too cold to do anything with it. :(

scott11

Seaman

Yea im hoping to get my garage set up soon so i can get some heat going on it. I still got to remove my engine and outdrive so i can cut out the transom. The weather has been nice around here but unfortunately it is too cold to be working with epoxy.