Restoring a 1978 Starcraft Holiday 18' questions

B King

Seaman Apprentice
I have been looking at buying a 18' Starcraft Holiday boat. I have so many questions not sure where to start? I know this is the right place to ask!

The boat is aluminum and I assumed a close bow. It has been dissasembled, stripped and exterior paint sanded. The boat also has a 140 hp GM iron duke engine with a Chrylser outdrive. All the chrome parts are in a box. Actually quite a bit of work has been done.

Here are the questions I have.

Is it easy to make this a open bow with a front platform for a seat? Should I just finish it as a closed bow?

Can this boat be made into a center console using most of the exsiting linkage cables and controls?

The carpet has been removed from the interior walls. What can I use to remove the leftover glue?

What is the best paint for the exterior?

What glue would you use to glue carpet and wood?

Is the iron duke engine as good as I have been told?

I have been told the Chrylser outdrive is hard to find parts for? True?

I have been told you can't run the outdrive trimmed half way down. If its in drive, to work it must be all the way up or all the way down to work? True?

What is the best wood thickness and type to use for the floor?

Should the gas tank be replaced or flushed?

B King

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Restoring a 1978 Starcraft Holiday 18' questions

starcraftportview.jpg

starcraftinsideview.jpg

Starcraftbackend.jpg

starcraftinsideview2.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Nice looking Holiday you have there. Lot's of Starcraft nuts here to help you through your restore. You can make an open bow from these. This guy just did it: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=455193. Those GM motors are good as long as they are properly serviced and winterized. The Chrysler drives are rare and you don't see many parts for them. The floor was 1/2 inch from the factory and that is sufficient thickness for these boats. Alot of guys have good luck with good ole Rustoleum paint.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Welcome Aboard
If it was an enclosed bow Holiday, the skin and supports have obviously been removed.
The best way to go would indeed be a CC since that has been removed.
The motor is not an "iron duke" by the way..a common minomer to the GM 4 banger
It is an excellent motor no matter what you call it..
The Chrysler outdrive??? Well that amigo will be a challenge, actually looks more like an OMC unit which has been out of business for 20 years..

Here is some inspiration.:D
This guy turned a big old starcraft into a great CC

IMG_0455.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ah so you bought that hull!!! We've been eying that one up down in the Starcraft section of this forum for a couple weeks now in the Starcrafts on Craiglist thread. That's the rare V5 hull design. Should ride awesome in the chop. Are you sure it's a Chrysler drive and not an OMC? An OMC you may be able to find some parts for, the Chrysler you are totally screwed. I'd look into converting it to a Mercruiser setup or an outboard. If you haven't made your way down to the Starcraft section yet, get on down there! We've got a list of all the restoration projects there which will be a wealth of info for you, including some closed to open conversions. Welcome to the forum!

B King

Seaman Apprentice

I have not bougth it yet. I am in the process of closing the deal. We have an agreement but I don't want to finalize until I know more about the outdrive. If it is a Chrysler....should I walk away?

I really like the boat and the deal we have set in place is good for both parties. Problem is I don't want this to be a big money pit. I want to restore it to look nice. I was surprised how many items he has already purchased for the restoration. Basically I have to buy the paint and just a few more items. The motor and outdirve were recently gone over and fluids all changed. It is supposed to run good. I will hear it run before I purchase.

Not a Iron duke? That tends to make me curious about many things?

Another big concern is the statement about the outdrive not operating unless its up or down? Now the guy really does not know for sure since he had yet to get it in the water. I think he maybe be getting bad info. That is why I am asking here for myself

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah the 3.0 is a GM equipment motor. Never used in cars. Extremely common and reliable marine motor.

Old I/O's are money pits. Old obsolete ones even more so. That drive is most likely an OMC Stringer drive which is very difficult to find parts and service for. Sorry. I'd really only be considering this hull for a conversion to Mercruiser or outboard power. There are, however, a number of guys on here running Stringers and if there was anyplace that could help you keep one running it would be here. Perhaps put a post up in the I/O Non-repair section and ask those guys whether they'd buy a Stringer or not.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Another big concern is the statement about the outdrive not operating unless its up or down?

That makes me believe it's an omc stringer. It doesn't have u-joints, it has a set of ball gears on the back of the transmission and another on the drive. The drive has to be all the way down for the gears to engage. Theres still parts for the omc's, but they are very expensive.

B King

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome Aboard
If it was an enclosed bow Holiday, the skin and supports have obviously been removed.
The best way to go would indeed be a CC since that has been removed.
The motor is not an "iron duke" by the way..a common minomer to the GM 4 banger
It is an excellent motor no matter what you call it..
The Chrysler outdrive??? Well that amigo will be a challenge, actually looks more like an OMC unit which has been out of business for 20 years..

Here is some inspiration.:D
This guy turned a big old starcraft into a great CC

IMG_0455.jpg

Did you restore your boat? Do you have any pictures of the interior design? A big concern for me is doing the bottom of a boat. I really hate to take out the motor and outdrive. If it's working and in good shape then I take the chance of having issues during the reconnection.

I bet it would be a bear/impossible to turn it over with everything still intact?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's not Kev's boat. That's a boat from Craigslist from my area actually. Pretty sure that pic is from Lake Raystown here in PA.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

B King...

I am going to be fairly blunt, please do not take this the wrong way, rather I am looking out for you amigo..

What you are considering for a project is rather extensive and quite an undertaking for a newbie.
I am positive that is an OMC drive, you will really need to find a good running Mercruiser engine and outdrive and replace it.
This will mean filling in the hole in the back and cutting a new one..

As much I hate to say this, find something similar that was set up with a outboard (hack hack) and cut your resto teeth on it before this project.
You may be on the water much faster, more $$$ in your pocket and won't cuss the world of boating at large for the rest of your life.

B King

Seaman Apprentice

B King...

I am going to be fairly blunt, please do not take this the wrong way, rather I am looking out for you amigo..

What you are considering for a project is rather extensive and quite an undertaking for a newbie.
I am positive that is an OMC drive, you will really need to find a good running Mercruiser engine and outdrive and replace it.
This will mean filling in the hole in the back and cutting a new one..

As much I hate to say this, find something similar that was set up with a outboard (hack hack) and cut your resto teeth on it before this project.
You may be on the water much faster, more $$$ in your pocket and won't cuss the world of boating at large for the rest of your life.

I have no problem with your statement. That is why I came here....I want someone to be blunt.

I made a decision to forego the boat. I backed away and decided to hold off. The outdrive was my biggest concern, not so much the restoration. I was actully going to get some help from my oldest son and his buddy. They have done tear downs and rebuilds. The deal for me would of been decent. I had a snowmobile he was going to take in trade and give me cash to offset the difference. I just saw this as a no win and could turn into a money pit.

I want to thank everyone who chimed in. It probably saved me a good many headaches.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah what he said^^^ TONS of Starcrafts in Michigan and they are great boats that are some of the easiest to restore and to own. Just find an outboard hull or one with a Mercruiser I/O the next time. Good luck!

B King

Seaman Apprentice

This is our new project. We got a good deal on this. It is exactly what my son was looking for. It will mainly be his project but I will help him as much as I can. This is a 16 footer with a outboard.

Tell me what you think, it will be in my garage in a few minutes.

starcraftstarboard.jpg

starcraft16stern.jpg

starcraft16inside.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a real nice deep 16'. Great project for sure.

CBGale2

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There ya go, great project to get started with. You have a blank canvas and can do what you want with the floor, helm and seating setup. That chopped up Holiday would have had me running for the hills (just cause it was a I/O), great call. Keep us posted on your resto and congrats.

B King

Seaman Apprentice

When my boy brought it home I was surprised. The outside had no paint. Looking at the picture is looked a light green or even a dirty gray. Not so, just clear aluminum. The previous owner was working on it. Sadly he got sick and died before he could finish it. He had replaced the floor and transom but the weather took its toll since.

My son is getting all crazy about what he wants to do to it. I told him to spend some time on here to get ideas. The plan is a side console with pedestal seats, a rod storage box and maybe a live well. Undecided on interior colors and materials. Red and black was discussed for the color scheme.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I told him to spend some time on here to get ideas.

He could spend a month on here doing that! Lots of quality restorations going on and lots of unique and great ideas for these old boats.